Apr 12, 2011, 5:10 PM EDT
The Nationals are recalling Jesus Flores from Class AAA Syracuse to take Ryan Zimmerman's roster spot, a surprising move that will give Washington three catchers but does add a right-handed bat to manager Jim Riggleman's bench.
Flores was informed of his promotion after Syracuse's game Monday night at Lehigh Valley, a source familiar with the move confirmed. He'll be in uniform at Nationals Park for Tuesday night's series opener against the Phillies, his first big-league appearance since 2009.
With Zimmerman headed to the 15-day disabled list with a strained abdominal muscle and likely to be replaced at third base by Alex Cora and Jerry Hairston, the Nationals needed to add another right-handed bat to their bench. Infielder Brian Bixler was a possibility, but he's not on the club's 40-man roster and could only be added if someone else was designated for assignment or released.
Roger Bernadina, who is on the 40-man roster, also would have been a likely choice, but the outfielder missed Syracuse's first five games while tending to a family matter. He has rejoined the Chiefs, though,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals try to start new winning streak today
- The Baseball Show: LaRoche and Cabrera are August standouts
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill