Apr 12, 2011, 5:10 PM EST
The Nationals are recalling Jesus Flores from Class AAA Syracuse to take Ryan Zimmerman's roster spot, a surprising move that will give Washington three catchers but does add a right-handed bat to manager Jim Riggleman's bench.
Flores was informed of his promotion after Syracuse's game Monday night at Lehigh Valley, a source familiar with the move confirmed. He'll be in uniform at Nationals Park for Tuesday night's series opener against the Phillies, his first big-league appearance since 2009.
With Zimmerman headed to the 15-day disabled list with a strained abdominal muscle and likely to be replaced at third base by Alex Cora and Jerry Hairston, the Nationals needed to add another right-handed bat to their bench. Infielder Brian Bixler was a possibility, but he's not on the club's 40-man roster and could only be added if someone else was designated for assignment or released.
Roger Bernadina, who is on the 40-man roster, also would have been a likely choice, but the outfielder missed Syracuse's first five games while tending to a family matter. He has rejoined the Chiefs, though,Read more »
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Kevin Frandsen
- Watch Werth arrive at jail in Fairfax to begin sentence
- Braves trade Hale, sign former Nats catcher
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Angels
- Nationals roster preview: Jose Lobaton
- 2015 outlook: Kansas City Royals
- Werth pleads guilty to reckless driving, will serve jail time
- Williams to host Super Bowl party with Mark Wahlberg & Michael Bay
- Report: Rafael Soriano in talks with AL East club
- Marlins introduce Ichiro in Japan: 'His body says he’s 30 or less'