Apr 13, 2011, 4:00 AM EDT
Associated Press photo
Jayson Werth homered and doubled in his first game against his former team.
The Nationals signed Jayson Werth over the winter and asked the $126 million right fielder not to carry this team on his shoulders but to share the load with the franchise’s other core players, most notably Ryan Zimmerman.
Well, with Zimmerman on the disabled list for at least the next two weeks, the load most definitely is being handed over to Werth. A club that has struggled to score runs in bunches so far this season must be able to count on its richest player to produce when it counts.
So the fact Werth delivered tonight — homering, doubling, scoring twice and drawing a walk to lead the Nationals to a 7-4 victory — can’t be understated. That he happened it do it in his first game against his former Phillies teammates was merely icing on the cake.
“That’s not easy,” second baseman Danny Espinosa said, “to go against your old team and have the great night he had.”
No, but Werth sure made it look easy. You’d never know he entered this game in an 0-for-10 mini-slump, or that he was playing in front of a surprisingly hostile crowd in his home ballpark, a product of all the Phillies fans who made the trip down I-95 and booed their former star every time he touched the ball.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals roster review: Tanner Roark
- Span will return to Nats, LaRoche & Soriano won't
- Trio of Nationals players become free agents
- Bumgarner, Giants beat KC 3-2 in Series Game 7
- Nationals roster review: Gio Gonzalez
- Giants, Royals battle in Game 7 for 2014 World Series title
- Nationals roster review: Doug Fister
- Royals hammer Peavy, Giants to force Game 7
- Giants can clinch 3rd World Series in 5 years in Game 6 at KC
- Ohlendorf taken off Nats' roster, becomes free agent