Apr 13, 2011, 7:07 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats try to take out Roy Halladay and the Phillies tonight.
The Nationals are riding a nice little wave of momentum right now, having won two straight and four of five, capped by last night's 7-4 triumph over the Phillies. Momentum, however, is only as good as your next day's starting pitcher, as they like to say. And tonight, the Phillies send one of the very best to the mound in Roy Halladay.
Last season, en route to the NL Cy Young Award, Halladay faced the Nationals three times. He went 3-0. With an 0.39 ERA. He allowed one run in 23 innings, striking out 20 while walking five. He was, to put it mildly, awesome.
Since you can't assume the Nats will pound Doc into submission tonight, you've got to figure their only hope is for a quality outing from John Lannan, who hasn't exactly enjoyed much success against the Phillies. In 11 career starts against them (including his big-league debut in 2007), Lannan is 0-8 with a 6.09 ERA. Daunting challenge, indeed.
I won't be at tonight's game — I'm helping cover Game 1 between the Caps and Rangers at Verizon Center for CSNwashington.com — but I'll be sure to post lineups when they're available. And as always, I hope you'll all continue the discussion among yourselves…
PHILLIES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
TV: MASN2, ESPN2 (outside of D.C.)
Radio: WHFS (1580 AM), XM 185
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 56 degrees, Wind 12 mph LF to RF
SS Ian Desmond
CF Rick Ankiel
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats 2016 promo schedule includes figurine of Werth and his dog
- NL East: Mets closer permanently banned by MLB for PEDs
- Bryce Harper: 'I'm a big fan of what Kirk Cousins did this year'
- NL East: Mets' ace says he's open to contract extension
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Why does free agent Ian Desmond still remain unsigned?
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Is Gott ready for a late-innings role?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals