Apr 13, 2011, 2:58 PM EST
Photo by Bob Youngentob / CSNwashington.com
Livan Hernandez authored another quality start and dropped a squeeze bunt.
Jayson Werth got the lion's share of the attention last night, and deservedly so. He put together a fantastic performance in his first game against the Phillies, and more importantly led the Nationals to a 7-4 victory.
There was, however, plenty else going on at Nationals Park during that game. So let's rehash some of the developments that got overlooked…
LIVAN HERNANDEZ'S LATEST GEM
All those offseason fears of Hernandez suffering a major regression in the wake of last year's stellar comeback performance? Yeah, it hasn't happened.
OK, it's only three starts, but Livo sure has looked a lot like the guy who led the rotation in wins and innings last season. He's now 1-1 with a 3.50 ERA, allowing only 8.5 hits per nine innings (his lowest rate since 2004) while issuing only 2.5 walks per nine innings (his lowest rate since 2008).
And, yes, I know those numbers are likely to go up over time. But for now, how can anyone complain about the big right-hander?
Hernandez was especially adept last night at hitting the outside corner of the strike zone, not to mention mixing up his mid-80s fastball,Read more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' Fedde hits milestone in Tommy John recovery
- Charlie Manuel almost returned to baseball as O's hitting coach
- How much money can the Nats spend this winter?
- With Hamels trade rumors, Phillies are staying patient
- MLB postseason shares released, including Nats
- Former Nats outfielder Josh Willingham retires
- Trio of pitching greats on new Hall of Fame ballot
- Who is the Nats' best player at his position?
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: Wilmer Difo
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole