Apr 15, 2011, 9:56 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Bryce Harper makes his debut at historic Municipal Stadium tonight.
HAGERSTOWN — Good evening from Municipal Stadium, home of the Hagerstown Suns since 1930. Yep, 1930. This is the third-oldest existing ballpark in the minor leagues. And let me tell you, it is a rustic facility to say the least.
Plenty of future stars have come through this town over the last eight decades, most notably Willie Mays (who made his minor-league debut here in 1950). And tonight, a potential new star debuts as a member of the Suns: Bryce Harper, who is starting in right field and batting third against the Lakewood BlueClaws (low-Class A affiliate of the Phillies).
Harper's pro career isn't exactly off to a rousing start. He enters tonight with a .250 average (7-for-38), one homer, five RBI and eight strikeouts in eight games. Suns manager Brian Daubach, though, has been nothing if not impressed with the way Harper handled an 0-for-9 slump earlier this week and the way he's handled the attention thrust upon on everywhere he goes.
I'll have updates throughout the night on Harper and others from Hagerstown, so be sure to check back for those. And for those of you watching (or at) the Nationals' game against the Brewers in D.C., please keep the conversation going on that game thread…
LAKEWOOD BLUECLAWS at HAGERSTOWN SUNS
Where: Municipal Stadium
Gametime: 6:35 p.m.
Radio: WJEJ (1240 AM)
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 57 degrees, Wind 14 mph in from RF
DH Randolph Oduber
2B Adrian Sanchez
RF Bryce Harper
C David Freitas
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?