Apr 15, 2011, 9:56 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Bryce Harper makes his debut at historic Municipal Stadium tonight.
HAGERSTOWN — Good evening from Municipal Stadium, home of the Hagerstown Suns since 1930. Yep, 1930. This is the third-oldest existing ballpark in the minor leagues. And let me tell you, it is a rustic facility to say the least.
Plenty of future stars have come through this town over the last eight decades, most notably Willie Mays (who made his minor-league debut here in 1950). And tonight, a potential new star debuts as a member of the Suns: Bryce Harper, who is starting in right field and batting third against the Lakewood BlueClaws (low-Class A affiliate of the Phillies).
Harper's pro career isn't exactly off to a rousing start. He enters tonight with a .250 average (7-for-38), one homer, five RBI and eight strikeouts in eight games. Suns manager Brian Daubach, though, has been nothing if not impressed with the way Harper handled an 0-for-9 slump earlier this week and the way he's handled the attention thrust upon on everywhere he goes.
I'll have updates throughout the night on Harper and others from Hagerstown, so be sure to check back for those. And for those of you watching (or at) the Nationals' game against the Brewers in D.C., please keep the conversation going on that game thread…
LAKEWOOD BLUECLAWS at HAGERSTOWN SUNS
Where: Municipal Stadium
Gametime: 6:35 p.m.
Radio: WJEJ (1240 AM)
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 57 degrees, Wind 14 mph in from RF
DH Randolph Oduber
2B Adrian Sanchez
RF Bryce Harper
C David Freitas
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole
- Nationals Stock Watch: Strasburg's road struggles continue
- Aaron Barrett wins patriotic staring contest before Nats-Rockies game
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo