Apr 15, 2011, 3:35 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Cliff Lee carved up the Nationals during a 12-strikeout, complete-game victory.
It’s entirely possible the Nationals won’t get a better pitching performance all season than they got Thursday night from Jordan Zimmermann, who carried a perfect game against the Phillies into the sixth and wound up allowing one earned run without issuing a walk in seven-plus innings.
That Zimmermann still took the loss despite that dominant performance was evidence of two facts: 1) Cliff Lee is really, really good, and 2) The Nationals’ lineup is mired in a serious funk right now.
Zimmermann’s gem earned rave reviews from both clubhouses, but it wasn’t nearly enough to overcome those two troubling facts. The end result: a 4-0 loss to the Phillies, who got a three-hit, 12-strikeout masterpiece from Lee to capture this series.
“I’m a Jordan Zimmermann fan to the end,” shortstop Ian Desmond said. “I know he’s got great stuff, the way he goes out and battles. That’s Cliff Lee out there. A lot of pitchers would maybe have shied away. But he kept on going, pitch-for-pitch with him.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Braves at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' minor league affiliate playoff schedules released
- Fister faces Kershaw in marquee matchup
- Former Nats slugger Dunn to retire; will he finally make playoffs?
- Bovada sportsbook favors Dodgers over Nats for World Series
- Braves will start construction of new Cobb County stadium soon
- Nationals' home run barrage has been balanced
- Around the NL East: Braves still alive for playoff berth
- Span helps lift Nats past Dodgers (VIDEO)
- Nationals hold on to beat Dodgers, open big series with win
- Phillies call up top prospect for September