Apr 17, 2011, 2:42 PM EDT
Updated at 12:43 p.m.
Coffey hadn't pitched since April 8, when he tossed a scoreless inning against the Mets in New York. The move, then, is retroactive to the next day, which means he'll be eligible to return from the DL on April 24.
The 30-year-old right-hander was doing conditioning work Wednesday when he felt a cramp in his lower leg. A little while later, it began to feel worse.
"By the time I walked in here, I thought: 'That's a little more than a cramp,'" Coffey said. "The doc looked at it, got checked out a couple times. It's just a small strain. It's just a day-to-day type of thing, but in the bullpen, you can't be day-to-day."
Coffey, who was 1-0 with a 6.23 ERA in five total appearances, said he has no trouble throwing off a mound. The problem arises when he has to field his position.
"If someone laid a bunt on me, I'm going to be just looking at it," he said. "I'm not going to be able to cover it, I'm not going to be able toRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Braves 7:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Hard-hit balls equal hard-luck loss for Nationals
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss