Apr 17, 2011, 2:42 PM EST
Updated at 12:43 p.m.
Coffey hadn't pitched since April 8, when he tossed a scoreless inning against the Mets in New York. The move, then, is retroactive to the next day, which means he'll be eligible to return from the DL on April 24.
The 30-year-old right-hander was doing conditioning work Wednesday when he felt a cramp in his lower leg. A little while later, it began to feel worse.
"By the time I walked in here, I thought: 'That's a little more than a cramp,'" Coffey said. "The doc looked at it, got checked out a couple times. It's just a small strain. It's just a day-to-day type of thing, but in the bullpen, you can't be day-to-day."
Coffey, who was 1-0 with a 6.23 ERA in five total appearances, said he has no trouble throwing off a mound. The problem arises when he has to field his position.
"If someone laid a bunt on me, I'm going to be just looking at it," he said. "I'm not going to be able to cover it, I'm not going to be able toRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Does Saltalamacchia show the Marlins are serious for 2014?
- VIDEO: Analysis of Fister trade
- Non-tendered players could interest Nats
- Yankees, Ellsbury near $153M, 7-yr deal
- Fister "excited" about trade to Nationals
- Rizzo discusses Fister trade and more Nats news
- Hard not to like Fister trade for Nationals
- Nats re-sign Ohlendorf, tender contracts to 8 others
- Nats acquire Fister in 4-player trade with Tigers
- Pirates acquire catcher Chris Stewart from Yankees