Apr 18, 2011, 3:36 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Rookie Danny Espinosa leads the Nationals so far with 14 RBI.
Make a circle around the far end of the Nationals' home clubhouse and you'll find a chain of big-league veterans, from Matt Stairs to Adam LaRoche to Rick Ankiel to Jayson Werth to Ryan Zimmerman to Ivan Rodriguez to Alex Cora to Jerry Hairston.
That's a lot of major-league experience around that semi-circle, enough to perhaps intimidate a 24-year-old rookie who only three summers ago was playing college ball.
Spend a few minutes with Danny Espinosa, though, and it's quickly apparent very little intimidates this guy.
"It's real easy as a young guy to come up and not be sure if you belong here," LaRoche said. "Kind of feel your way around. Is this for me? Am I good enough to play up here? I haven't seen any signs of that. When you play with the guy and talk with the guy, you think he's been around three or four years. The fact he's that mature as a ballplayer is impressive."
So is the fact Espinosa currently has twice as many RBI as anyone else on the Nationals' roster.
Yep, with yesterday's six-RBI performance in the Nats' doubleheader sweep of the Brewers, Espinosa now has driven in 14 runs in 15Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals deal with unfamiliar event: A loss
- Nats fall to Giants, win streak snapped at 10
- Williams talks Nats Sept. call-ups, plan for Nate Schierholtz
- Michael Morse returns to Nationals Park for 1st time since 2012
- Nats go for 11 straight with longtime enemy Hudson on mound
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats are on fire
- Remembering the Nats' last 10-game win streak
- Baseball in the District - Nats prospect Taylor Hill
- Nats' Williams takes reprieve on Babe Ruth impression
- With help from his alter ego, Span again sparks Nats to win