Apr 18, 2011, 3:36 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Rookie Danny Espinosa leads the Nationals so far with 14 RBI.
Make a circle around the far end of the Nationals' home clubhouse and you'll find a chain of big-league veterans, from Matt Stairs to Adam LaRoche to Rick Ankiel to Jayson Werth to Ryan Zimmerman to Ivan Rodriguez to Alex Cora to Jerry Hairston.
That's a lot of major-league experience around that semi-circle, enough to perhaps intimidate a 24-year-old rookie who only three summers ago was playing college ball.
Spend a few minutes with Danny Espinosa, though, and it's quickly apparent very little intimidates this guy.
"It's real easy as a young guy to come up and not be sure if you belong here," LaRoche said. "Kind of feel your way around. Is this for me? Am I good enough to play up here? I haven't seen any signs of that. When you play with the guy and talk with the guy, you think he's been around three or four years. The fact he's that mature as a ballplayer is impressive."
So is the fact Espinosa currently has twice as many RBI as anyone else on the Nationals' roster.
Yep, with yesterday's six-RBI performance in the Nats' doubleheader sweep of the Brewers, Espinosa now has driven in 14 runs in 15Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Three homers not enough in 5-3 Nationals loss to Seattle
- Nationals go for series sweep in Seattle
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high