Apr 18, 2011, 1:45 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Danny Espinosa is congratulated after homering in Game 1.
The hits would come, the Nationals kept insisting, even as batting averages tumbled below the Mendoza line and the team’s collective slugging percentage threatened to fall below .300. As long as they kept getting quality performances from their pitching staff, everyone was confident the bats would do their part.
And then on Sunday, the Nationals saw everything come together in a perfect little package. They got two more quality performances from their pitching staff. And they finally got the offensive explosion everyone was waiting for.
The end result: A thoroughly satisfying doubleheader sweep of the Brewers (by scores of 8-4 and 5-1) that left the Nationals with a winning record and spirits soaring.
“Fifteen games is nothing. We’ve got a long way to go, and a lot can happen,” first baseman Adam LaRoche said. “But if we keep playing like this, it might be a good situation.”
As long as the Nationals’ rotation continues to pitch like this, and as long as they get the occasional clutch hit, they’re certainly going to be in position to win every time they take the field. They proved that twice on Sunday in a rare, traditional doubleheader that saw some unlikely offensive heroes emerge.
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 12:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Fister, Nationals hard-luck losers in pitchers duel
- Asdrubal Cabrera joins Nats after trade, starts at second base
- Nationals send slumping Barrett to AAA
- Asdrubal Cabrera makes his debut
- Nats activate Asdrubal Cabrera, option Aaron Barrett
- MLB Power Rankings: Deadline shakeup in the AL
- Nationals bullpen in surprising rut
- Gio Gonzalez stumbles again in Nats' 10-4 loss to Phillies
- Pitchers' duel becomes battle of bullpens in Nationals 10-4 loss
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)