Apr 19, 2011, 1:21 PM EDT
Thursday, 1:45 p.m. — LHP Tom Gorzelanny (1-1, 5.68) vs. RHP Kyle Lohse (2-1, 2.82)
TV: MASN Radio: WFED-1500 AM, WHFS-1580 AM
After a sluggish start to the season, St. Louis has won four of five to get back to .500 entering this series. But all is not rosy in the Gateway City. Closer Ryan Franklin has blown four of his five save opportunities to date, including Sunday's 2-1 loss to the Dodgers, and now manager Tony La Russa is considering a change. Whether La Russa goes with right-hander Mitchell Boggs or a closer-by-committee remains to be seen.
Offensively, the Cardinals struggled during the season's first week. But the return of Matt Holliday from an emergency appendectomy has re-energized the lineup. Holliday is hitting .441 with nine RBI and a 1.235 OPS in his first nine games. Veteran Lance Berkman (six homers in 14 games) has also proven a welcome addition.
The rotation was a question mark coming into the season, with co-ace Adam Wainwright sidelined for all of 2011 after Tommy John surgery. But Chris Carpenter and Co. have held down the fort, and KyleRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann perfect against Sabathia, Yankees
- Fister could be ready for season's first week
- Zimmermann leads Nats against Yankees' Sabathia
- Injuries highlight the importance of rotation depth
- Gio Gonzalez starts strong, but Astros top Nationals
- Bryce Harper repping new eye black company
- Gonzalez faces Astros under the lights in Viera
- Should Desmond be the Nationals' No. 2 hitter?
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals