Game 16: Nats at Cardinals (Take 2)

Apr 20, 2011, 3:00 PM EDT

File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
John Lannan gets the ball for Game 1 of today's doubleheader at Busch Stadium.

OK, let's try this again. After last night's rain, hail and tornado warning in St. Louis, the Nationals and Cardinals will play two today. It's a split doubleheader, with this afternoon's opener preceding tonight's regularly scheduled contest.

So the Nationals are playing their second straight doubleheader, with two days off in between. Don't see that too often. John Lannan and Jake Westbrook, last night's scheduled starters, will pitch the first game. Couple of lineup changes from last night, with Michael Morse and Wilson Ramos sitting this one so they can face lefty Jaime Garcia tonight.

Broadcast info: Both games will be televised on MASN2. Game 1 is on 1500 and 1580 AM, with Game 2 on 106.7 FM only.

I'm not on this trip — heading over to CSN headquarters this afternoon to shoot a couple of video segments, be sure to check the site at 1 p.m. for a live edition of Beltway Baseball — but please keep the conversation going as always. I'll post a new thread later for the second game…

NATIONALS at CARDINALS
Where: Busch Stadium
Gametime: 2:15 p.m.
TV: MASN2
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WHFS (1580 AM), XM 186
Weather: Partly cloudy, 53 degrees, Wind 12 mph LF to RF

STARTING LINEUPS
2B Danny Espinosa
CF Rick Ankiel
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche

1. Jim Webster - Apr 20, 2011 at 3:04 PM

Interesting to see Tyler Greene in the STL lineup. He and Allen Craig welcomed Strasburg to the bigs in Viera last year with homers in the same inning. Tell Lannan not to sweat.

2. Unkyd - Apr 20, 2011 at 3:11 PM

Let's play TWO!!!!!

3. Tim - Apr 20, 2011 at 3:45 PM

Wind blowin' out to RF. Could be high-scorin' affairs. Time for some LaRoche bombs!

4. Ben - Apr 20, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Mark,Where exactly is the CSN headquarters now? Are they still in Bethesda near the Pancake House (where HTS used to be) or have they moved.

5. Mark Zuckerman - Apr 20, 2011 at 4:28 PM

Yes, CSN is still in Bethesda, right next door to the Original Pancake House (get the apple pancake – delicious!).

6. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2011 at 4:41 PM

So is there ever any partisan tension in the media center between you Original Pancake House guys and those noted IHOP devotees Charlie and Dave?

7. natsfan1a - Apr 20, 2011 at 4:52 PM

mmmm…pancakes (and there is only one "original" – that's why it's the original – sorry, IHOP). :-)

8. natsfan1a - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:01 PM

Well, okay, technically there's more than one, it being a chain and all, but their buckwheat pancakes are number one in my heart.

9. Tcostant - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:14 PM

That apple pancake is great, but for regular pancakes their are none better than those at Craker Barrel.

10. natsfan1a - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:25 PM

This place isn't too shabby, either:http://www.firstwatch.com/menu-breakfast.htmLove the Floridian French Toast.Um, back on topic, hope that our guys commence to hitting and to flipping their bats like so many pancakes today.

11. Sunderland - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:26 PM

Love seeing the arguements raging here at PancakeInsider.com. I'm partial to french toast myself. Take that!

12. Unkyd - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:27 PM

Original has great 'cakes, and REALLY great sausage. But if I'm gonna lay out that much for 'cakes&sausage, I don't wanna pay extra for pure maple!The one on the pike used to charge extra… And then come back and tell me that didn't have any!!! The grocery is right across the street, fer crissake! For awhile, I'd bring in my own 1/2 pint of the good stuff (I know… anal… But if you work in restaurants for a few years, in your youth, it tends to warp your personality, a little…), but eventually, I gave up. Silver Diner does a pretty good job…. Mostly, o do them at home, nowadays. Bisquik, fried up in a lot of bacon grease… Just like Dad used to, camping, on the pump-up Coleman stove.Hehe, sorry….got a little carried away, there.What inning is it, anyway… :-)

13. Ryan - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:29 PM

Random question… maybe someone can help me. Had someone ask me last evening if there were any Expos still with the Nationals? The only ones I could come up with were Desmond, Balester, and Bernadina, and Livo returning.Is there anyone(s) I am missing. Thanks gang, and Go Nats

14. natsfan1a - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM

Was Stairs an Expo? Of course, he'd be in the "returning" category if so.

15. FS - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:31 PM

And while we talk about pancakes, Milwaukee scores on another pitcher that shut us down, Cliff Lee. What's wrong with Lee? In 2 innings, no SO. Against us, he was striking out pretty much everyone.

16. natsfan1a - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:36 PM

Maybe his game jersey is broken, like the BP jersey of that guy in the commercial? That, or he's just having a bad game. (And I can mix up a pretty mean batch myself, Unkyd. Separate the eggs, whip the whites, and they come out nice and fluffy.)Bonus baseball question: What pitcher ate pancakes before his starts, for luck?

17. Sunderland - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:40 PM

Nice one 1a. Matt Stairs, not only an Expo but a Canadian to boot.

18. Unkyd - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:42 PM

The smart one! :-) . And make sure the eggs are room temp, for good height, as well… The bacon grease does it for me…crispy edges!!

19. Ernie - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:50 PM

@UnkydIf Kilgore's right, you're going to have another Desmond to root for in the next few days. How will you get by if Ian's out on paternity leave?

20. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:52 PM

natsfan1a…. you're kidding, right? Jim (Pancake) Palmer.And now the brewers are up 2 zip. An unearned run off Lee but their 4th hit in 3 innings.

21. JohninMPLS - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:53 PM

Livan was a member of the Expos, but he's technically a returning player as well.On the 40-man, Bernadina has been with the organization since 2001, when he was signed as an amateur free agent by the Expos. He never played for the Expos, though.I think that's it.

22. Doc - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:56 PM

Matt Stairs: Not only an Expo, and a Canadian, but he also played in the same OF, for a few games, with Canada's greatest contribution to MLB in the batter's box—-Larrrrrrrrrrry Walker.Hope MS gets a fews hits sooooon!Gooooo Nats!

23. Grandstander - Apr 20, 2011 at 5:58 PM

Anyone watching the Brewers/Phillies? I think they're a bit upset we swept em and they're really taking it to the Phils this series. Pretty entertaining.

24. natsfan1a - Apr 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM

NJ: too easy? Actually, it occurred to me after posting that there was more than one. If memory serves, John Patterson (poor kid), who was a fan of Palmer's, did the same.

25. Unkyd - Apr 20, 2011 at 6:01 PM

I hadn't heard that, Ernie!!! Best wishes and good luck to Mrs. Desi!!! He won't be out for long… If Zimm's not back, though, who gets the call up?@NF1: you know… After the Senators left me (aged 12), I never did warm up to the O's… And after Angelos came to town, it turned to downright animosity… So, I'll just be your straight man, for O's lore….

26. WhatsaNattaU - Apr 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM

I have no pancake stories, but I read that Desmond and wife are expecting and that he is likely to go on paternity leave any day now. Seems likely that Cora would play short with Bixler called up for a few days, but I imagine there would be some support for Espinosa at short and Cora at second. Or Hariston, Espinosa, Cora. But, I'm wondering if there is a 40 man roster move that needs to be made. Bixler isn't on it is he? Might they bring up Marerro and go short a man in the middle infield for a few days? Or a pitcher….

27. natsfan1a - Apr 20, 2011 at 6:05 PM

Unkyd, no problem. I didn't grow up here, and I never followed the O's after moving to the (NoVa) area. When the Nats came to town, I embraced them as my own. I was mainly just grasping for a pancake/baseball connection. Um, batter up? :-)

28. natsfan1a - Apr 20, 2011 at 6:07 PM

Espinosa at short? Oh, yeah!

29. natsfan1a - Apr 20, 2011 at 6:12 PM

hmmm, add FP to the ex-roster if we can count broadcasters. Now it's off to the basement baseball viewing lair for me.

30. Scooter - Apr 20, 2011 at 6:13 PM

By the way, y'all, on my Gameday Audio thingie the radio stations are switched: I had to select the St. Louis feed to get Slowes and Jaegler. It might just be my system, but thought I'd mention it.

31. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 20, 2011 at 6:24 PM

That hit and run is such a beautiful thing!And isn't Werth the consumate PRO!?!? What a great take out on Theriot.

32. WhatsaNattaU - Apr 20, 2011 at 6:49 PM

Desmond may want to reconsider that paternity leave. It they see someone else play shortstop, they may not let him back on the field…

33. Alex - Apr 20, 2011 at 6:55 PM

Espinosa is on fire, two singles!!! Now that's a leadoff hitter.

34. Unkyd - Apr 20, 2011 at 6:59 PM

Maybe you leave Espi at 2nd…keep him in his groove. You know he can play SS… Let Desi know we're saving HIS spot? Yes…I'm gonna play this ALL the way… :)

35. FS - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:04 PM

1 out, bases loaded, Desi at plate.

36. dj in Fl. - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:06 PM

Who the heck are these guys ?6 to zip

37. Peyton Dowdy - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:07 PM

And Desmond continues to hit after his good series against the Brewers. Nice 2 RBI single and a steal of home.

38. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:08 PM

Did Desi just steal home?!DL in VA

39. Alex - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:09 PM

Wow! Desi stealing home!

40. FS - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:11 PM

I love that play, I mean double steal. Ever since I saw Rangers run that in Game 2 of ALCS, I am in love with that play. That is one of the most beautiful plays along with suicide squeeze.

41. Alex - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:11 PM

This is incredible Lannan was the first and last out of the inning!

42. dryw - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Who cares about pancakes when we've got BASEBALL?? (and that's a big statement from me, 'cause I actually love pancakes…but these Nats are more fun even than pancakes!)

43. Grandstander - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

That was one hell of a half inning of baseball. 1st to third on a single to left for Ankiel? Double steal with Nix and Desmond? Batting around the lineup? Good times!

44. Tim - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:12 PM

That was one of the best innings of offensive baseball in Washington Nationals' history.

45. dj in Fl. - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:15 PM

hit and rundouble stealbases loaded hit7-0 leadall that in 3 inningsYou gotta love this team

46. Peyton Dowdy - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:16 PM

I agree Tim. Any time you can put up a 6 spot in an inning without hitting a homer is good solid baseball.

47. Alex - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:16 PM

Also very efficient baseball so far for the Nats, 7 runs on 7 hits.

48. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:16 PM

WOW… I'm speechless….First they got my attention with the suicide squeeze in the second game of the season…. And now a double steal with a steal of home!This is not your old Washington Senators, That's for sure!

49. JD - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Imagine that; 6 runs by a lineup that includes: Ankiel,Cora and Rodriguez.

50. Nattydread - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:18 PM

Oh well. Pujols was going to do that… Good thing the double play erased the runner.

51. FS - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

Actually this might be the oldest Washington Senators. Isn't this pretty much type of baseball they played before Babe Ruth introduced HR magic to fans? And for some reason, I always think of Danny as Bucky Harris, LOL. Of course I have only read about him.Pujols homers against Lannan, who isn't really efficient today.

52. Alex - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:22 PM

No way around Pujols, but Lannan needs to get out of this inning without further damage…

53. Unkyd - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Leadoff batter discussion more or less settled? At least for a week, or so?Really wish I was watching this… But no other sport is this good, on the radio. Good guys, like Dave and Charlie, really paint the picture!!

54. FS - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:29 PM

I am guessing our run of SP going at least 6 will be over today when Lannan only goes five. He has thrown about 65 in 3 innings. What happened? He is supposed to have good numbers in STL. Anyways, if he keeps this lead as it is without giving up anymore runs, I can live with his five innings. But that would mean JZ will have to be super again tonight. Go Nats!!!

55. Nattydread - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:30 PM

First steal of home by the Nationals! Ever.

56. Alex - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Did Espinosa just hit a triple! Is this really happening? Unreal!

57. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:31 PM

Bucky Harris? Joe Cronin? How about Eddie Brinkman the guy Teddy ballgame turned into a dangerous OBP machine. Did a lot for Delbert Unser as well?

58. WhatsaNattaU - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:34 PM

There has been a fair amount of criticism for Riggleman and Rizzo this winter and spring (particularly among some grumpy NJ posters). But the team that Rizzo built and Riggleman is running certainly looks like they know what they are doing these days.

59. FS - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:36 PM

Let's cut them some slack just this once for not getting that runner across from 3rd with no outs.

60. JD - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:37 PM

FS, Why can't he go 6 or 7? What's wrong with 120 – 130 pitches?

61. JD - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:39 PM

I take it back. If he's gonna walk weak hitters with a 7 – 1 lead we may as well take him out now.

62. Alex - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:42 PM

About 80 pitches through 4 innings… if Lannan's luck he might make it through 6 innings… more likely he pitches the 5th and he's done.

63. FS - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:45 PM

I don't remember anytime Riggs has let starters go over 100 pitches. I remember Livan went 150 once, but that was under Robinson I think. Most of them are taken out at 99 or 100 something.I would love for our pitchers to go consistently 100+ pitches but Riggs doesn't do that. Lannan already has 75+ pitches. He might be able to get through 6 if he improves.

64. Cwj - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:48 PM

Wow! I'm loving this old school "small ball" offense. I'm guessing this is what baseball was like pre-Ruth era, as FS mentioned.I love it! Also got to give Riggleman credit. I was down on him to start the season. But these old time plays he's calling are impressive when they work.And the hitters are making them work.Go Nats!

65. Unkyd - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:49 PM

66. WhatsaNattaU - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:50 PM

They may want to bring Lannan back on short rest Sunday so he might come out now for that reason.

67. Cwj - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:55 PM

@FS- Just looked it up and Marquis threw 109 pitches in his second start this year. But yeah, other than that 100 pitches seems to be Riggleman's cap.

68. Alex - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:57 PM

The at-least-five-innings pitched streak continues.

69. Nattydread - Apr 20, 2011 at 7:58 PM

Riggleman took a lot of criticism for riding pitchers hard in Chicago.

70. Tim - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Lannan at bat. One more inning. Hmmmm….

71. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:00 PM

Or … Toby Harrah … the hope and future SS of the defunct Nats.

72. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:01 PM

And if it's Gaudin in the 6th, that may eliminate him from Sunday unless he only goes 1 inning.

73. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:03 PM

Unser, Brinkman….. I actually had Casey Cox as my PE teacher, in 4th grade! Yep… Those clowns had to work, in the offseason, back when…It was interesting watching French and Hannan playing local celebrity softball almost immediately after they retired …

74. Alex - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Lannan did throw 122 pitches Sept. 25 in 2009 against Atlanta… That's the most he's ever managed, but it looks like he's done so moot point.

75. Pete - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:05 PM

Ruh-roh. Here comes Gaudin.

76. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:06 PM

Lannan's done at 101 pitches. But only five innings. An uneven start for Lannan … made better because of the score … but his pitch count should have plummeted as a result of the score and instead the opposite occurred. Seven hits, 3 walks, 2 homers in five innings. More than enough to lose the game last year … but not this time at least early this year …

77. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:07 PM

Gaudin 6-4-3. Good.

78. Alex - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:08 PM

Loving these double plays!

79. Tcostant - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:08 PM

I saw at the washingtonpost.com that Riggs would prefer to bring back Lannan on three days rest. He said because their is an off day Monday (3/25), that a minor leaguer starting is out, because he doesn't want the rest of the starters having to much time off between starts. So look for Lannan to be under 100 pitches today.

80. JaneB - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:19 PM

I forgot it was a day game and didn't get home till bottom of the 4th. I'll watch highlights on game day in the commercials. Thanks for the Nats/Expo history, all.Oh Gaudin. Oy oy oy.P.S. Thanks for the tip about Cracker Barrel pancakes. Just this past week I was wondering about that. In other news, in OUR stadium, the Cubans they sell behind section 115 are pretty darn good.Food. Baseball. The two topics I could talk about endlessly,Go Nats!

81. Tim - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:20 PM

Gettin tired of Desi's errors. He's made two today, really… one on Werth's throw, one on the ground ball that should've ended the inning.

82. N. Cognito - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Nats pitching is horrid today. The implosion is just a matter of time.

83. Anonymous8 - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Amazing how the Nats pitchers don't get the strike calls…….Just sayin'

84. FS - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Can't blame Riggs for putting Lannan in (he handled bottom of the lineup somehow) and then taking him out after giving up another hit.What's happening now is insane. An error by Desi, followed by Gaudin's promising performance. You want to start this guy on Sunday?

85. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Wonder how much longer for Gaudin? There are better and plentiful replacements in Syracuse.

86. Stranded_in_Philly - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:22 PM

Could somebody… PLEASE… tell me what on Earth Chad Gaudin brings to this team?

87. Tim - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

I was working in my real estate office when Denny RIddleberger called in. He was a reliever on the Ted Williams managed team. Saw him play minor league ball in Columbus, when they were the Pirates AAA team.

88. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:23 PM

And Chad Gaudin has made my "He has to go!" list.

89. Pete - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:25 PM

$hit $hit $hit $hit $hit.

90. Alex - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:25 PM

I think either Slaten or Gaudin may have to go soon. Neither has done much to impress so far… and it's not like we don't have plenty of young pitchers ready to come up.

91. Peyton Dowdy - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:26 PM

Gaudin is awful…he never has been good either. Not sure how much longer he has on this team. He is walking a batter per inning, not to mention the ridiculous number of hits he gives up.

92. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:27 PM

And I'm sick of the excuses made for Desmonds errors.

93. N. Cognito - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:27 PM

Runner left on 3rd is gonna haunt the Nats.

94. Tcostant - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:28 PM

Yuck – it's now 7-5! Jane – no problem on the Cracker Barrel tip, post here once you try them.

95. Unkyd - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Kind, Patient Unkyd has had all he wants to see, from Gaudin. Can we let Jim go, and keep Ballystar, when Coffey comes back?

96. FS - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:29 PM

Agree even Slaten has not done much as a pitcher who only faces off against lefties. Either he allows a hit or a walk, then Clippard comes in to clean his mess.

97. Unkyd - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:32 PM

And…no excuses for Desi… Just a pat on the back, and a Robin Yount story :)

98. WhatsaNattaU - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Rodriquez has to be back in less than two weeks. I would say Gaudin has about that long to make good. Slatten at least offers strategic advantage. Broderick offers mop up only, but he has "potential" so Gaudin seems to me to be the guy unless someone gets injured.(Wait, they sell cubans behind 115?)

99. JaneB - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:33 PM

Tyler Tyler Tyler! We need two more just like him. And no more Chad.

100. Peyton Dowdy - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM

Thank you Tyler Clippard…Robin Yount could be an interesting comparison. I was hoping they might try Desi in centerfield. He has a cannon for an arm and good speed.

101. Alex - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:34 PM

I almost have to wonder if leaving Lannan in would have been a better decision… but at least it's over now.

102. Anonymous8 - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:35 PM

Great job by Clippard but I think Slaten did a good job. Give the hitter some credit on a seeing eye pop up.

103. JD - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:38 PM

That was a big time out for Clippard.

104. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:38 PM

CrapHowAwfulDoes (it)Get?AnotherUselessDisplay (of)IneffectiveNon-relief

105. NatsJack in Florida - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:39 PM

Unkyd….. Yount was a 19 YO rookie. Desmond has been piling up errors ever since he was first signed in June of 2004. He'll be 26 YO by the end of the season. Any comparison to Yount ended 5 years ago.

106. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:44 PM

Thanks to Desmond, the Cardinals will probably steal this game.

107. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Yount was such a lousy SS that the Brewers switched to CF. Maybe the Nats should do the same with Desmond.

108. JD - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:48 PM

Not gonna be easy.

109. FS - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:49 PM

A triple play would be nice now.

110. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:53 PM

According to Ladson Riggleman loves Desmond. So, expect Cora to replace him when he takes paternity leave. Not Espinosa.

111. Alex - Apr 20, 2011 at 8:58 PM

Worried about our bullpen in the second game…

112. JD - Apr 20, 2011 at 9:03 PM

Alex,Let's win the 1st game.

113. Nattydread - Apr 20, 2011 at 9:05 PM

At least Gaudin won't be pitching next game!

114. DFL - Apr 20, 2011 at 9:10 PM

Anonymous, Robin Yount was moved to the outfield because of a shoulder problem and not because he was a poor shortstop.

115. FS - Apr 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM

Really? Shoulder problem and moved to OF? That does not make sense to me.Anyways, I am surprised I haven't passed out yet.

116. Pete - Apr 20, 2011 at 9:15 PM

Here comes the double switcheroo.

117. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2011 at 9:20 PM

Yount won MVP awards as both a SS and CF.

118. Anonymous - Apr 20, 2011 at 9:22 PM

Yeah, but who is Riggleman going to have for bullpen in the next game? Its not like JZimmnn will go 9? I guess its Balester and Broderick … perhaps Livo or Ankiel?

119. The Joker - Apr 20, 2011 at 9:25 PM

Perhaps Ankiel can pitch in relief, especially if there is a laugher.

120. Carl in 309 - Apr 20, 2011 at 9:37 PM

What a heart-attack that game was. A win's a win (Yogi might say), but that was entirely too much drama after a 7-0 lead!

121. FS - Apr 20, 2011 at 9:39 PM

WOW when offense decided to show up, none of our pitchers wanted to. I don't think anyone pitched a first pitch strike on any batter in this game, including Tyler. I could be wrong but lot of STL at bats started 2-0 or 3-0.I am just glad to win this ball game. Let us hope JZ can reverse his numbers against STL and we can win tonight's game as well. Go Nats!!!

122. JaneB - Apr 20, 2011 at 9:40 PM

Go Nats! I remember, in past years, having to turn off the TV in the 7th because they Were Absolutely Going To Lose. I don't feel that way now. I bet the don't either. Did Clip pit h too much to come back tonight? We need J Zimmerman to have a career night.I love my Nats. Love 'em. (loving you all too)

123. natsfan1a - Apr 20, 2011 at 9:47 PM

Whew, who'd a thunk it would end up that close with the lead that was built in the early innings? Fun to read the thread after the fact and see some of my own in-game reactions mirrored. NatsJack, in particular, mirrored my own commentary on Gaudin. Yeesh.

124. natsfan1a - Apr 20, 2011 at 9:51 PM

Also, loved the ovation the local fans gave to Ankiel for his first at-bat. Nice gesture on his part to take out the thank you ad in the local birdcage liner. Oh, and yes, FP, small ball is much, uh, funner.In other news, what happened to Mark's beltway video post?

125. Mark'd - Apr 20, 2011 at 10:12 PM

Desmond turned some amazing plays today on those DPs which helped erase the memory of that error.Also when Stairs looked like he was going to pinch hit FP and Carpenter discussed that Stairs was working on his mechanics to get balls in the air. We had this discussion last week when SteveM diagnosed his mechanics as he was getting on top of the balls. Now interestingly Riggleman said in his postgame news conference Sunday that Stairs hit one on the bat barrel except that was a 2 hopper to 2nd. Glad Stairs has admitted their is Ab issue as I have no idea sometimes what game Riggleman is watching

126. Mark'd - Apr 20, 2011 at 10:17 PM

So JZim has to go without the top 3 in the bullpen most likely. I hope he can go a good 7.The Brewers had a good go at Cliff Lee and got him out in the 6th but the Phils came back. and won.

127. Anonymous8 - Apr 20, 2011 at 11:19 PM

Riggleman said he definitely won't use Storen or Clippard in the 2nd game and would consider Burnett and Slaten.It was an ugly win but you'll take it!

128. waddu eye no - Apr 21, 2011 at 12:21 AM

always love reading pancake insider