Apr 21, 2011, 9:05 PM EDT
The Nationals optioned Jesus Flores to Class AAA Syracuse following today's 5-0 loss to the Cardinals, sending the catcher back to the minors to get more at-bats.
The club will promote another player before tomorrow night's game in Pittsburgh, and Syracuse infielder Brian Bixler is the likely choice. Bixler was pulled for a pinch-hitter in the fourth inning of today's 14-0 loss at Pawtucket, was not injured and was not on the team bus after the game, according to an organizational source.
The Nationals need another infielder in place before Ian Desmond goes on paternity leave. Desmond's wife, Chelsey, is due to give birth to the couple's first child any day.
Bixler is not currently on the 40-man roster, so the Nationals will need to remove another player to make room for him. They'll also be able to promote someone else from the minors to take Desmond's spot whileRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann, Gio pitch in Nats split-squad games
- Wainwright wants Bryce Harper to take it easy on him (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Fernandez face off as Marlins host Nats
- Nats owner Mark Lerner on the Wizards’ broadcast (VIDEO)
- Braves fear both Medlen and Beachy need Tommy John
- Nats' Jordan takes on fearsome Tigers lineup
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets