Apr 21, 2011, 9:05 PM EDT
The Nationals optioned Jesus Flores to Class AAA Syracuse following today's 5-0 loss to the Cardinals, sending the catcher back to the minors to get more at-bats.
The club will promote another player before tomorrow night's game in Pittsburgh, and Syracuse infielder Brian Bixler is the likely choice. Bixler was pulled for a pinch-hitter in the fourth inning of today's 14-0 loss at Pawtucket, was not injured and was not on the team bus after the game, according to an organizational source.
The Nationals need another infielder in place before Ian Desmond goes on paternity leave. Desmond's wife, Chelsey, is due to give birth to the couple's first child any day.
Bixler is not currently on the 40-man roster, so the Nationals will need to remove another player to make room for him. They'll also be able to promote someone else from the minors to take Desmond's spot whileRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats' reliever to get second opinion on ailing shoulder
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded
- A formula that could work wonders for Nats
- Nats ride strong pitching to shutout win
- Scherzer on mound as Nats try to take series
- Papelbon aiming for saves record, hopes to co-exist with Storen
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen