Apr 21, 2011, 9:05 PM EDT
The Nationals optioned Jesus Flores to Class AAA Syracuse following today's 5-0 loss to the Cardinals, sending the catcher back to the minors to get more at-bats.
The club will promote another player before tomorrow night's game in Pittsburgh, and Syracuse infielder Brian Bixler is the likely choice. Bixler was pulled for a pinch-hitter in the fourth inning of today's 14-0 loss at Pawtucket, was not injured and was not on the team bus after the game, according to an organizational source.
The Nationals need another infielder in place before Ian Desmond goes on paternity leave. Desmond's wife, Chelsey, is due to give birth to the couple's first child any day.
Bixler is not currently on the 40-man roster, so the Nationals will need to remove another player to make room for him. They'll also be able to promote someone else from the minors to take Desmond's spot whileRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Strasburg settles down, Nats rout Cardinals 11-1
- Strasburg leads Nationals against Cardinals
- Skole among first round of cuts at Nats camp
- Rosenthal pain-free, Wacha pitches well for Cards
- Zimmerman, LaRoche homers lift Nationals over Atlanta
- Nationals split-squads face Braves, Cardinals
- Roark makes emergency start vs. Astros
- Fister scratched from start with elbow inflammation
- Doug Flutie took batting practice at Nats spring training (VIDEO)
- Marlins complain about Red Sox spring lineup, get apology