Apr 21, 2011, 3:54 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats try to take this series from the Cardinals today at Busch Stadium.
There's a decent amount riding on today's series finale in St. Louis. For one thing, the Nationals are trying to maintain a winning record heading into this weekend's series in Pittsburgh. For another, they're trying to pull off their first series victory at Busch Stadium since 2007.
Tom Gorzelanny gets the ball for his third start of the season. The lefty has the worst numbers of anyone in the Nats' rotation (0-1, 5.56 ERA) but he's actually pitched pretty well. He struck out eight in his season debut against the Mets, then earned a quality start last week against the Brewers. He'll be attempting today to continue an impressive streak: Nationals starters have gone at least five innings in all 17 games this season, the only rotation in the majors to do that.
Ian Desmond (6 for his last 16) will hit fifth today for Jim Riggleman, with Michael Morse (slugging a paltry .209) hitting sixth. Have we mentioned how much this lineup really needs Ryan Zimmerman back?
As you know by now, I'm not on this road trip, so please enjoy the dialogue amongst yourselves…
NATIONALS at CARDINALS
Where: Busch Stadium
Gametime: 1:45 p.m.
Radio: WFED (1500 AM), WHFS (1580 AM), XM 186
Weather: Cloudy, 54 degrees, Wind 18 mph RF to LF
2B Danny Espinosa
CF Rick Ankiel
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Roark gets the start for Nats at Wrigley
- State of the Nats: Rolling into Wrigley for Bryant vs. Harper
- Harper showing he can excel at 'the little things'
- Advice from teammates helps Gio get back on track vs. Phillies
- Anthony Rendon to take big step forward in rehab this week
- Strong Gio start secures another series win for Nats
- Nationals aim for another series win against Philly
- Still no answer for Strasburg's woes
- Strasburg rocked again during ugly 8-1 loss to Phillies
- Roark ready for Monday start in Chicago