Apr 22, 2011, 7:31 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Beautiful PNC Park hosts the Nationals for a three-game, weekend series.
With some of the good vibes they were feeling only 48 hours ago gone after dropping back-to-back games in St. Louis, the Nationals tonight begin a three-game series in Pittsburgh … if the weather cooperates. There's rain in the forecast tonight. There's rain in the forecast tomorrow. And there's rain in the forecast Sunday.
(For what it's worth, both teams are off Monday, in case they need to extend this series to get it completed. Of course, Monday's forecast: Rain.)
Livan Hernandez gets the ball, looking to continue his early season trend of effectiveness. He'll have what has become the Nats' mostly regular lineup behind him, with Jerry Hairston at third and Wilson Ramos behind the plate.
Brian Bixler, meanwhile, has had his contract purchased from Class AAA Syracuse. The Nationals still need to remove someone from the 40-man roster to make room for the infielder, who is available in case Ian Desmond's wife goes into labor and the shortstop needs to leave the team for a few days.
Sadly, I'm not on this trip to get to see my favorite ballpark in the world (PNC Park). Enjoy the game and the always lively conversation here…
NATIONALS at PIRATES
Where: PNC Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Rain, 48 degrees, Wind 18 mph in from LF
2B Danny Espinosa
CF Rick Ankiel
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend
- Nats call up Xavier Cedeno, send Blake Treinen to Syracuse
- Nationals need a bounce-back vs. Cardinals
- Errors cost Nationals in ugly loss to Cardinals
- The Baseball Show: How can Strasburg turn it around?