Apr 24, 2011, 10:47 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Michael Morse and Adam LaRoche each homered during today’s 6-3 win.
PITTSBURGH — They may insist they pay no attention to such things, but members of the Nationals’ lineup can’t help but notice how abysmal their offensive numbers are right now.
Only two of Jim Riggleman’s starting nine Sunday against the Pirates boasted batting averages better than .225: Leadoff man Danny Espinosa and pitcher Jason Marquis, who was hitting a robust .286. Three starters were sitting below the Mendoza line. Four sported on-base percentages below .300.
“You look at the averages right now, and it’s not real good,” cleanup hitter Adam LaRoche said.
Perhaps the Nationals began to dig themselves out of their season-long funk Sunday afternoon in pounding out 15 hits en route to a 6-3 victory. Certainly, LaRoche (2-for-5, homer) and Michael Morse (3-for-4, three-run homer) had to feel good about their performances.
This lineup may not be loaded with thumpers who can be counted on to produce every single night. But there’s certainly more offensive talent wearing curly W jerseys right now than has been put on display.
“It’s nice to put a few hits together today,” LaRoche said. “That’s been few and far between. Our pitchers have been keeping us in there, but we haven’t been able to get the big hit. So to have Mike come up with the big three-run home run and drive some runs in when we needed them, and to keep adding on to it, was a good sign.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 3:10 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg pitches gem as Nats beat Mariners 3-1
- Manny Pacquiao to throw first pitch before Nats-Dodgers game
- Mets could lose Murphy for rest of season
- Nats blast King Felix, open series vs. Mariners with win
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League