Apr 25, 2011, 10:43 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Matt Stairs enters Monday night’s game hitless in 11 at-bats this season.
PITTSBURGH — Matt Stairs has been in this game too long and hit his way out of too many slumps to start mincing words now at age 43. And the Nationals’ struggling pinch-hitter isn’t making any excuses for his 0-for-11 start to the season.
“I can honestly say my 11 at-bats I’ve had so far — besides my four walks — have been just embarrassing,” he said before Monday night’s game against the Pirates. “I’ll be the first one to admit it.
“The thing that bothers me is, it’s 0-for-11, but it’s not even good at-bats. It pisses me off. I can honestly say when I step into the batter’s box, I have no chance of getting a hit.”
Over the course of 19 big-league seasons, Stairs has endured through his share of slumps, including an 0-for-30 slide that stretched out over nearly two months in 2009 with the Phillies. So he’s not about to start panicking, though he did lose a bit of sleep Sunday night.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals 2014 minor league spotlight: A.J. Cole
- Report: LaRoche signs 2-year deal with White Sox
- Souza explains gift from Zimmermann: 'It was his moment'
- Nats sign RHP Billings for minor league depth
- Braves seen as 'dark horse' for next Cuban star Tomas
- When should Nats' wave of prospects arrive?
- Nationals linked to top free agent Max Scherzer
- Nats add 4 players to 40-man roster, drop pair
- Report: Nationals consider Zimmermann & Fister 'available'
- Nationals need to make 40-man roster decisions