Apr 25, 2011, 10:43 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Matt Stairs enters Monday night’s game hitless in 11 at-bats this season.
PITTSBURGH — Matt Stairs has been in this game too long and hit his way out of too many slumps to start mincing words now at age 43. And the Nationals’ struggling pinch-hitter isn’t making any excuses for his 0-for-11 start to the season.
“I can honestly say my 11 at-bats I’ve had so far — besides my four walks — have been just embarrassing,” he said before Monday night’s game against the Pirates. “I’ll be the first one to admit it.
“The thing that bothers me is, it’s 0-for-11, but it’s not even good at-bats. It pisses me off. I can honestly say when I step into the batter’s box, I have no chance of getting a hit.”
Over the course of 19 big-league seasons, Stairs has endured through his share of slumps, including an 0-for-30 slide that stretched out over nearly two months in 2009 with the Phillies. So he’s not about to start panicking, though he did lose a bit of sleep Sunday night.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Gonzalez, Nats win pitchers duel on another walk-off
- Nats' Zimmerman takes significant step in recovery
- Nationals aim for team record 10th straight win vs. D-Backs
- Nationals' 9-game win streak is "absolutely epic"
- Are Nationals finally playing to full potential? (VIDEO)
- Mo'ne Davis and company have one more chance
- Young guns bat, slide Nationals to ninth-straight win
- Matt Williams projects when Ryan Zimmerman will return
- Span tabs Nats teammate & rival to do ice bucket challenge
- Williams debates keeping streak alive or long term health