Apr 25, 2011, 9:48 PM EST
PITTSBURGH — Ryan Zimmerman, on the disabled list more than two weeks with a strained abdominal muscle, will resume some baseball activities Tuesday before the start of the Nationals’ seven-game homestand. The third baseman’s return to the lineup, though, won’t happen until he goes on at least a brief minor-league rehab assignment.
Zimmerman went on the 15-day DL April 9, one day after he aggravated a previous strain while sliding headfirst into second base at Citi Field. He was eligible to be activated Sunday, but he so far has undergone only physical therapy and has not participated in any baseball activities.
The Nationals, who are wrapping up a six-game road trip Monday night against the Pirates, plan to evaluate Zimmerman prior to Tuesday’s game at Nationals Park. He’ll doing some throwing, though it’s uncertain whether he’ll take batting practice yet.
Either way, the prolonged layoff means Zimmerman will need to get a few at-bats on a minor-league rehab assignment before he’s activated. That means he’s unlikely to return to the Nationals’ lineup until late this week at the earliest.
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Escobar '100 percent committed' to new position
- Why Harper's confidence is a good sign for Nats
- A year older, Rendon ready for the long grind
- Nats' minor league affiliate gets new ownership
- Harper on Nats signing Scherzer: 'Where's my ring?'
- Report: Ichiro happy to be away from Yankees' manager Girardi
- Full roster has reported, but Werth still rehabbing
- Wilson Ramos talks Nats' stacked rotation, personal goals
- After whirlwind debut, Treinen finds comfort zone
- Desmond arrives in Viera, now what about his future with Nats?