Apr 25, 2011, 9:48 PM EST
PITTSBURGH — Ryan Zimmerman, on the disabled list more than two weeks with a strained abdominal muscle, will resume some baseball activities Tuesday before the start of the Nationals’ seven-game homestand. The third baseman’s return to the lineup, though, won’t happen until he goes on at least a brief minor-league rehab assignment.
Zimmerman went on the 15-day DL April 9, one day after he aggravated a previous strain while sliding headfirst into second base at Citi Field. He was eligible to be activated Sunday, but he so far has undergone only physical therapy and has not participated in any baseball activities.
The Nationals, who are wrapping up a six-game road trip Monday night against the Pirates, plan to evaluate Zimmerman prior to Tuesday’s game at Nationals Park. He’ll doing some throwing, though it’s uncertain whether he’ll take batting practice yet.
Either way, the prolonged layoff means Zimmerman will need to get a few at-bats on a minor-league rehab assignment before he’s activated. That means he’s unlikely to return to the Nationals’ lineup until late this week at the earliest.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats announce McLouth signing, DFA Corey Brown
- MLB's Rangers draft NFL quarterback Russell Wilson
- PHOTO: Jerry Blevins very excited to be a National
- Nationals lose catcher Nieto in Rule 5 draft
- Michael Morse signs with San Francisco Giants
- MLB rules committee votes to outlaw home plate collisions
- 3 deals in 10 days leave Nats in good shape
- Rizzo: Blevins was Nationals' best option
- Former Nats OF Jerry Hairston, Jr. retires from MLB
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect