Apr 26, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
The Nationals have placed shortstop Ian Desmond on the newly created paternity leave list and recalled outfielder Roger Bernadina from Class AAA Syracuse to temporarily take his roster spot.
Desmond's wife, Chelsey, had been due to give birth to the couple's first child in Sarasota, Fla., and the Nationals had been prepared for the shortstop's departure for the last week. Grayson Wesley Desmond was born at 3:56 p.m., weighing 6 pounds, 11 ounces.
Major League Baseball created the paternity leave list this season, allowing expectant fathers to come off the roster for up to three days, with a replacement promoted from the minors to fill that spot. Desmond becomes the second big-leaguer to go on the list, joining Rangers right-hander Colby Lewis.
Desmond has gotten off to a sluggish start to the season, hitting .205 with two homers and eight RBI over his first 20 games. He's also committed seven errors, tied with Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro for theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle
- Nationals surrender four runs in 9th, fall 7-6 to Marlins
- Span proving skeptics wrong with summer surge
- Zimmermann, Nationals go fishing in Miami
- State of the Nats: Deal or no deal before the MLB trade deadline?
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record