Apr 26, 2011, 7:18 PM EDT
The Nationals have placed shortstop Ian Desmond on the newly created paternity leave list and recalled outfielder Roger Bernadina from Class AAA Syracuse to temporarily take his roster spot.
Desmond's wife, Chelsey, had been due to give birth to the couple's first child in Sarasota, Fla., and the Nationals had been prepared for the shortstop's departure for the last week. Grayson Wesley Desmond was born at 3:56 p.m., weighing 6 pounds, 11 ounces.
Major League Baseball created the paternity leave list this season, allowing expectant fathers to come off the roster for up to three days, with a replacement promoted from the minors to fill that spot. Desmond becomes the second big-leaguer to go on the list, joining Rangers right-hander Colby Lewis.
Desmond has gotten off to a sluggish start to the season, hitting .205 with two homers and eight RBI over his first 20 games. He's also committed seven errors, tied with Cubs shortstop Starlin Castro for theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies