Series preview: Mets at Nats

Apr 26, 2011, 1:56 PM EDT

Tuesday, 7:05 p.m. — RHP Chris Young (1-0, 1.46) vs. RHP Jordan Zimmermann (1-3, 3.70)
TV: MASN2 Radio: WJFK-106.7 FM, WFED-1500 AM

Wednesday, 7:05 p.m. — RHP R.A. Dickey (1-3, 4.10) vs. LHP Tom Gorzelanny (0-2, 4.96)
TV: MASN2 Radio: WJFK-106.7 FM, WFED-1500 AM

Thursday, 7:05 p.m. — LHP Chris Capuano (2-1, 5.95) vs. RHP Livan Hernandez (2-2, 3.48)
TV: MASN Radio: WJFK-106.7 FM, WFED-1500 AM

METS UPDATE
It's already been a season of high drama in Queens, to the surprise of no one. Last week, the Mets looked like the worst team in baseball, having dropped eight of nine games at home. Then they went on a four-game tear, beating Houston and sweeping Arizona to raise their record to 9-13.

The resurgence coincided with the return of Jason Bay from the DL. The left fielder hadn't played since straining a muscle while taking batting practice in late-March in Viera. Bay's return helps stabilize New York's lineup, which had already been getting good production from Ike Davis and David Wright.

The Mets' pitching staff will get its own boost tonight when Chris Young returns from the DL. The right-hander missed the last two weeks with what the club believes was biceps tendinitis, a sigh of reliefRead more »

1. Steve M. - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:02 PM

Mark, good preview. My sources tell me that there are personnel changes coming today.What are you hearing?

2. natsfan1a - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:11 PM

Let's get 'em tonight, boys!Also, catching up on comments in prior threads after being away for a few days, someone asked about seats at AT&T Park – I like the right field upper deck seats. As for the fave ballparks question (from the same thread), I've only visited seven of them, so I can't compare and contrast all. After my first visit last weekend, I really like PNC. Great setting, and the structure and materials evoke the region nicely imo. I also really like AT&T, but I'm probably biased as a former SFO Bay Area resident. I've only visited one of the old parks – Wrigley – and I very much like it as well (disclaimer: I also lived in the Chicago area for a spell). hmmm…I think Fenway may be next on my to-do list.

3. Mark'd - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:15 PM

SteveM – has to be Stairs or Cora. Am I close?

4. Steve M. - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:17 PM

5. JD - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:29 PM

No one is really hitting much in Syracuse but I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see Bernadina called up.

6. Mark'd - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:41 PM

SteveM, well, hopefully both.

7. Cwj - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:42 PM

The prospect of losing a series to the Mets after the Pirates series would be embarrassing.Gotta take this series, and I think they will.Hoping for a .500 season.

8. Mark'd - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:44 PM

JD, agreed on Bernie as I thought he should have been on the Opening Day roster.

9. JD - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:51 PM

CWJ, The Mets have Wright,Beltran,Bay and Davis in the middle of their lineup not to mention Reyes at the top. In your opinion; does our lineup match up well against theirs? don't be so quick to embarrass; we are not exactly the NY Yankees.

10. JD - Apr 26, 2011 at 2:53 PM

Mark'd, but will they play him everyday or have him sit on the bench? If they put him in center and hit him leadoff and stay with it for a month I'm all for it.

11. Pete - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:07 PM

It looked like the Nats were getting abused by an expansive strike zone as well. Seemed like the umps wanted to get that sucker over with and head back to the hotel.

12. Doc - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:18 PM

Never discount the fact that the umps have their own schedule—and their own rules!!

13. Water23 - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:27 PM

Bad news for a college players but maybe work out well for all in the endESPN's Keith Law hears that South Carolina outfielder Jackie Bradley Jr. has a torn ligament in his wrist and could miss the rest of the spring (Twitter link). Bradley was expected to be a first round pick before the injury.Maybe the Nats can scoop him up with their second 1st round pick(23). A close to the Majors CF might be nice for 2012!!!

14. Manassas Nats Fan - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:30 PM

Lets win at least 2 out of 3 against the Muts.

15. Anonymous - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:32 PM

Personnel changes? That one is easy. Syracuse is in a kind of slump that mirrors the big club. Odd that? But the machinations, strategies, use of the pitching staff almost mirror the big club as well so perhaps its holistic? ;)Next is Henry Rodriguez who has been pitching well, very consistently well and throwing Hanrahan smoke. A tad higher averaging between 98-101. He isn't walking many batters and has pitched two innings on a number of occasions when needed. He's ready. Oh, offense? 'm afraid next would have to be Seth Bynum. He currently seems to be the only spark plug in the Syracuse offense. Bernadina is doing well at lead off and getting on base but Bixler was doing better which is why he is now with the big club. They're now playing Bernadina in CF (Message to Ankiel the hitless wonder?) and Corey Brown in right field. Jeff Frazier typically appears in left field. Boomer Whiting is the utility outfielder.

16. Grandstander - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:45 PM

I think Gaudin will be DFA'd for HRod.

17. Pete - Apr 26, 2011 at 3:53 PM

Ankiel can throw a laser for sure, but isn't hitting a lick. To quote Major League, "you may run like Hayes but you hit like $hit."

18. Anonymous - Apr 26, 2011 at 4:17 PM

i'll keep ankiel over stairs.

19. Mark'd - Apr 26, 2011 at 4:20 PM

Go go Gaudin has to go go far away from here.

20. carolync - Apr 26, 2011 at 4:43 PM

There won't be personel changes that make any real difference.I've been to all home games so far but won't go to the Mets games. Too expensive to watch dreck. I've lost all enthusiasm for this team.I guess they don't care that the fan base continues to erode.

21. Tim the Enchanter - Apr 26, 2011 at 4:54 PM

The hitless wonders could have used Josh Willingham with 3 homers(which would tie him for the Nats lead) and 13 RBIs(which would be second to Espinosa's 15). Even Adam Kennedy is hitting .300 with lowly Seattle.

22. Anonymous - Apr 26, 2011 at 4:56 PM

Tim, willingham is hurt….again.

23. Cwj - Apr 26, 2011 at 5:16 PM

@carolync – do you mean the Nats, or Mets?

24. Anonymous - Apr 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM

I think the first to go has to be Stairs. Especially after the comments yesterday. How do you keep a guy in your clubhouse that knows he is going to fail?

25. Anonymous - Apr 26, 2011 at 5:24 PM

Tim, willingham is hurt….again.Yet, Nick the Stick could end up helping Manny Acta to a winning season in Cleveland … with Sizemore back they are looking pretty good right now.

26. Nats Outsider - Apr 26, 2011 at 5:27 PM

I need some help/advice.My daughter is taking me to Thursday's game, and she is buying the cheap seats in the Upper Infield Gallery (400 level). I have two questions:1. Are these seats under cover (rain is predicted)? and2. How hard is it to move lower down after, say, the second inning? Thanks everyon!

27. Mark'd - Apr 26, 2011 at 5:32 PM

Personnel changes could be Desmonds maternity leave too.

28. JayB - Apr 26, 2011 at 5:48 PM

29. Anonymous - Apr 26, 2011 at 5:56 PM

There isn't a [SIC] big enough for that comment.

30. Anonymous - Apr 26, 2011 at 5:59 PM

Nevertheless, its high time Desmond was moved to 2nd base. And Espinosa to shortstop. High time before this team commits 110+ errors this season as projected. If Rizzo's goal was to reduce errors that effect his pitch-to-contact pitching and philosophy he has an odd way of accomplishing that with Ian Desmond manning the shortstop position.

31. bgib - Apr 26, 2011 at 6:16 PM

Read the Phil Wood article. So, does he expect us to believe that Desmond has been thinking about the birth of his child for the past 6 years?

32. Traveler8 - Apr 26, 2011 at 6:37 PM

@Nats Outsider,The 400s do have cover higher up, so unless it is blowing a lot, you will be out of the rain. I can't comment on going down to the lower sections as I tend to stay put, but I expect there is more tolerance with fewer people and worse weather.

33. natsfan1a - Apr 26, 2011 at 7:12 PM

Dang, this interface is toying with me again. I second what Traveler said. We usually like to be back 5 rows or so. Besides having cover, there's less chance of having your view obstructed (unless, of course, some doofus opts to walk in front of you during an at-bat – what the?).

34. Anonymous - Apr 26, 2011 at 7:28 PM

Steve M. said… Mark'd – I wouldn't tell you if you were. I am sure Mark Z. will have the news soon enough. April 26, 2011 10:17 AM So the point of mentioning it would be what?

35. N. Cognito - Apr 26, 2011 at 7:39 PM

Anonymous said… "Nevertheless, its high time Desmond was moved to 2nd base."You misspelled "Syracuse."

36. Nats Outsider - Apr 26, 2011 at 11:55 PM

Thanks, Traveler 8. As long as we are under cover, we'll be fine.