Apr 26, 2011, 4:01 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Ian Desmond dodges raindrops on his way to third base during tonight’s loss.
PITTSBURGH — At the end of a long (and very wet) road trip, the Nationals could only look to the heavens and ask: Why us? Why does it seem to rain everywhere we go?
“April showers,” John Lanann muttered. “I can’t wait for April to be over. Let’s go to May.”
Lannan, of all people, has a right to feel that way. He’s made five starts now this season, three of which have been disrupted in some fashion by Mother Nature. His season debut included a 55-minute rain delay in the fourth inning. His fourth scheduled start last week in St. Louis was postponed altogether. And his fifth start, Monday in Pittsburgh, featured a 21-minute interruption that completely altered the course of this game.
The Nationals were careful not to blame this 4-2 loss to the Pirates on the conditions. But the look of exasperation in their eyes said it all.
“There’s nothing you can do about it,” said manager Jim Riggleman, whose team has experienced three postponements and three in-game delays in 3 1/2 weeks. “It’s Maryland, it’s Pennsylvania in April, and you’re going to get that. We’ve dealt with it before, and we may not be past it. So it’s just a situation you’ve got to deal with, and no excuses.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- His thumb healthy, Harper tearing it up at plate
- Gonzalez makes case for postseason start
- Bryce, Gio continue late-season surge in 6-2 win
- NL Playoff Outlook: What stars will give the Nationals trouble?
- LaRoche gets extra day off to rest ailing back
- MLB Power Rankings: Tigers righting the ship
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop