Apr 26, 2011, 11:16 PM EDT
Ryan Zimmerman took a step Tuesday toward his eventual return from an abdominal strain, but the Nationals third baseman is still going to need some more time before he’s activated off the disabled list.
Zimmerman performed some light baseball activities Tuesday afternoon for the first time since going on the 15-day DL April 9. Standing down the right-field line at Nationals Park, he played catch with head trainer Lee Kuntz from about 60 feet, fielded some hand-thrown grounders and then jogged about 90 feet several times.
Zimmerman hasn’t yet taking batting practice, run the bases or fielders grounders off a bat, steps he must take before he can return to game action. Even then, he’ll need to go on a minor-league rehab assignment for at least a couple of days to face live hitting before
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Phillies, 7:35 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies
- LaRoche gets rare night off with tight back
- Gonzalez faces Hamels in showdown of southpaws