Apr 26, 2011, 11:16 PM EST
Ryan Zimmerman took a step Tuesday toward his eventual return from an abdominal strain, but the Nationals third baseman is still going to need some more time before he’s activated off the disabled list.
Zimmerman performed some light baseball activities Tuesday afternoon for the first time since going on the 15-day DL April 9. Standing down the right-field line at Nationals Park, he played catch with head trainer Lee Kuntz from about 60 feet, fielded some hand-thrown grounders and then jogged about 90 feet several times.
Zimmerman hasn’t yet taking batting practice, run the bases or fielders grounders off a bat, steps he must take before he can return to game action. Even then, he’ll need to go on a minor-league rehab assignment for at least a couple of days to face live hitting before
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann agreed to a surprising contract with Detroit
- Report: Nats, Mets and Braves all chasing two-time All-Star
- Appreciating Jordan Zimmermann’s Nationals career
- PHOTOS: Zimmermann’s Nats career through the years
- Did Zimmermann sign with Tigers at a discount?
- Jordan Zimmermann signs free agent deal with Tigers
- Report: Zimmermann in serious talks with AL team
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Victor Robles
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Erick Fedde
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito