Apr 27, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT
Nationals right-hander Livan Hernandez is reportedly the subject of a federal investigation involving money laundering for Angel Ayala Vazquez, a convicted drug trafficker in Puerto Rico.
According to a report on Puerto Rican news site El Vocero, Hernandez is one of several celebrities being investigated and could face charges of money laundering and bank fraud. The report said Hernandez testified in relation to the Vazquez case in front of a grand jury in the summer of 2009. He spent most of that season pitching for the Mets before being signed by the Nationals on Aug. 26.
As part of the case against Vazquez, Hernandez’s name was mentioned multiple times by various witnesses as a figurehead or prominent part of Ayala Vazquez’s operation. During the trial, U.S.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- A rocky two years: Matt Williams' tenure as Nats manager
- Cross Scioscia off list of potential Nats manager candidates
- Rizzo on firing Williams as manager: 'A tough day'
- Nats leaning toward manager with experience
- Report: Nats will look at Cal Ripken for managerial job
- Jordan Zimmermann releases touching statement thanking DC
- Could Nats hire Francona or Scioscia as manager?
- Denard Span supports fired Nationals coach on Twitter
- Updated: Nats clean house with coaching staff, hope some return
- Matt Williams fired after 2 seasons as Nats manager