Hernandez named in investigation

Apr 27, 2011, 9:25 PM EDT

Nationals right-hander Livan Hernandez is reportedly the subject of a federal investigation involving money laundering for Angel Ayala Vazquez, a convicted drug trafficker in Puerto Rico.

According to a report on Puerto Rican news site El Vocero, Hernandez is one of several celebrities being investigated and could face charges of money laundering and bank fraud. The report said Hernandez testified in relation to the Vazquez case in front of a grand jury in the summer of 2009. He spent most of that season pitching for the Mets before being signed by the Nationals on Aug. 26.

As part of the case against Vazquez, Hernandez’s name was mentioned multiple times by various witnesses as a figurehead or prominent part of Ayala Vazquez’s operation. During the trial, U.S.

1. Sec 3, My Sofa - Apr 27, 2011 at 9:34 PM

I really, *really* hope he isn't that dumb. That would hurt.

2. Ernie - Apr 27, 2011 at 9:46 PM

Say it ain't so, Livo!

3. No! - Apr 27, 2011 at 9:51 PM

holy crap.

4. carolync - Apr 27, 2011 at 9:55 PM

Yuk! Just what we need.

5. joemktg - Apr 27, 2011 at 9:57 PM

A) Here's what I think is the damning sentence from the feds: "No person who was involved in this gang of drug traffickers will go unpunished." B) Another article (same source) mentions "possible ethics sanctions" from MLB. What does this mean? What are the possible implications?This is just terrible news: this club just can't seem to catch a break.

6. natsfan1a - Apr 27, 2011 at 10:19 PM

Wow. And what sec3 and Ernie said. Sigh.

7. Ernie - Apr 27, 2011 at 10:44 PM

I am so in shock that I am commenting a second time. This man is my favorite player since baseball returned to DC. No pitcher is more fun to watch. I loved every Strasburg game last year, but the joy of watching Livo on the mound is like nothing else. I realy hope this is not true, but I am worried.

8. No! - Apr 27, 2011 at 10:52 PM

Ernie, I agree, I really really hope this isn't true, but it is.

9. natsfan1a - Apr 27, 2011 at 11:28 PM

Likewise re. Livo, Ernie.

10. BinM - Apr 27, 2011 at 11:32 PM

This, if proven true is very dissapointing news. Livo is the heart & soul of the rotation imo, and having an implication in this type of Federal investigation hurts everyone (the player, his family, the team, and the fans). I'm personally saddened & dissapointed by this information, and hope that it proves out as more finger-pointing by others than as anything substantial against Livan.

11. Unkyd - Apr 27, 2011 at 11:34 PM

Right on the solar plexus…..

12. Doc - Apr 27, 2011 at 11:37 PM

The tendency to presume 'guilty', as opposed to 'not guilty', is the more dominant emotion in societies, in spite of how American Justice advertises 'innocent until proven guilty'.I know nothing about this case, but I hope that Hernandez gets a fair hearing. Grand juries are secretive, so there is no way the Nats' FO knew about Livo's status. One would think that they took a good guess though.

13. JaneB - Apr 27, 2011 at 11:52 PM

What Doc said. Let's let this play out. Just because he is the subject of an investigation doesn't mean he is guilty. I'm standing by him. Not that it matters, but I am.

14. Anonymous - Apr 28, 2011 at 12:09 AM

Have any of you ever served on a federal grand jury? All this article relates to right now is that he testified in an investigation. Unless he perjured himself or incriminated himself, or they have evidence on him, there isn't much to this story. Calm the hell down…UNTERP

15. Anonymous8 - Apr 28, 2011 at 12:18 AM

This is not new and was reported in the Puerto Rican press several months ago. Why is it just making news now?

16. Sec 3, My Sofa - Apr 28, 2011 at 12:46 AM

Sr. Ocho, you answered your own question."was reported in the Puerto Rican press several months ago. Why is it just making news now?"

17. Nattydread - Apr 28, 2011 at 4:40 AM

This proves that Livan lives in Miami and that he has a few unsavory friends. Let's let it play out.See, in the off-season, "high character" guys like Adam Laroche hunt deer and stuff. Livan obviously has different off-season hobbies.Hope this doesn't go any further.

18. 320R2S15 - Apr 28, 2011 at 11:44 AM

Please explain your comment about Adam Laroche and "high charactor", Natty.

19. P. Cole - Apr 28, 2011 at 12:32 PM

¡VIVA LIVO!

20. Stranded_in_Philly - Apr 28, 2011 at 3:43 PM

Remember that great story in Nats Journal about how Livo approached Rizzo with "1,000,000 dollars" written on a cocktail napkin and said that was what he'd play for?Maybe this explains why he doesn't care so much about his baseball income….

21. not quite Joe Friday - Apr 29, 2011 at 12:10 PM

The article is so vague it is really hard to have a real comment so far. If the worst he did is put his name on the title of some cars who cares? If he is selling drugs (and nothing here implies that) then that is a different story.TheF eds and Barry Bonds has been in my opinion a true waste of money. I know it is just the tip of the iceburg, but all around the Feds find ways to waste money that just doesn't need to be wasted (Back off my soap box)This can play out without me. When a real crime is committed let me know.