Apr 28, 2011, 10:05 PM EDT
Shortstop Ian Desmond came off the paternity leave list today, rejoining the Nationals after missing two days for the birth of his first child.
Desmond left the club Tuesday morning and made it to Sarasota, Fla., in time for wife Chelsey to deliver 6-pound, 11-ounce son Grayson that afternoon. He remained there yesterday before flying back to Washington today, where he went straight to Nationals Park and was in the starting lineup for the series finale against the Mets.
Major League Baseball created the paternity leave list this season, allowing clubs to replace expectant fathers on the roster during their absence.
Roger Bernadina, who was called up from Class AAA Syracuse Tuesday to take Desmond’s spot, was optioned back to the minors Thursday afternoon. The outfielder appeared in both games while in D.C., going
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper leaves Nats game after feeling lightheaded
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale