Apr 28, 2011, 10:05 PM EDT
Shortstop Ian Desmond came off the paternity leave list today, rejoining the Nationals after missing two days for the birth of his first child.
Desmond left the club Tuesday morning and made it to Sarasota, Fla., in time for wife Chelsey to deliver 6-pound, 11-ounce son Grayson that afternoon. He remained there yesterday before flying back to Washington today, where he went straight to Nationals Park and was in the starting lineup for the series finale against the Mets.
Major League Baseball created the paternity leave list this season, allowing clubs to replace expectant fathers on the roster during their absence.
Roger Bernadina, who was called up from Class AAA Syracuse Tuesday to take Desmond’s spot, was optioned back to the minors Thursday afternoon. The outfielder appeared in both games while in D.C., going
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Breaking down the Nats and Giants season series
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats
- Royals beat A's 9-8 in 12 in AL wild-card thriller
- 'Now the fun begins' - Nats enter postseason on a roll
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?