Apr 28, 2011, 10:05 PM EDT
Shortstop Ian Desmond came off the paternity leave list today, rejoining the Nationals after missing two days for the birth of his first child.
Desmond left the club Tuesday morning and made it to Sarasota, Fla., in time for wife Chelsey to deliver 6-pound, 11-ounce son Grayson that afternoon. He remained there yesterday before flying back to Washington today, where he went straight to Nationals Park and was in the starting lineup for the series finale against the Mets.
Major League Baseball created the paternity leave list this season, allowing clubs to replace expectant fathers on the roster during their absence.
Roger Bernadina, who was called up from Class AAA Syracuse Tuesday to take Desmond’s spot, was optioned back to the minors Thursday afternoon. The outfielder appeared in both games while in D.C., going
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Reds, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Reds, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Reds, 1:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Depleted lineup can't complete sweep over Rockies in 6-4 loss
- Zimmerman placed on DL with hamstring strain
- Kevin Durant channels Werth, LaRoche in 'beard gang' photo
- Strasburg tries to pitch depleted Nats to sweep
- Nationals have to deal with latest Zimmerman injury
- Adam LaRoche notches three hits, Nats down Rockies
- Zimmermann returns to mound after injury
- Cliff Lee, A.J. Burnett also wouldn't mind being traded to the Nats
- Healthy Nationals lineup has become NL's best
- Around the NL East: Are the Phillies on the verge of a fire sale?