Apr 28, 2011, 10:05 PM EDT
Shortstop Ian Desmond came off the paternity leave list today, rejoining the Nationals after missing two days for the birth of his first child.
Desmond left the club Tuesday morning and made it to Sarasota, Fla., in time for wife Chelsey to deliver 6-pound, 11-ounce son Grayson that afternoon. He remained there yesterday before flying back to Washington today, where he went straight to Nationals Park and was in the starting lineup for the series finale against the Mets.
Major League Baseball created the paternity leave list this season, allowing clubs to replace expectant fathers on the roster during their absence.
Roger Bernadina, who was called up from Class AAA Syracuse Tuesday to take Desmond’s spot, was optioned back to the minors Thursday afternoon. The outfielder appeared in both games while in D.C., going
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Consistency propels Nationals to NL's best record
- Nationals hang on to beat Reds 4-2
- Instant analysis: Reds 1, Nationals 0
- Roark, Nats win 4-1, hand Reds seventh-straight loss
- Denard Span leading the way for Nats in July
- Roark, Nats look to bounce back in Game 100 of 2014 season
- The Baseball Show: Should the Nats make a trade? (VIDEO)
- Power Rankings: Which MLB stadium is the best?
- MLB Power Rankings: Nats trending up after big week
- 'Baseball in the District' - Bob Nightengale and Matt Skole