Apr 28, 2011, 8:17 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals try to avoid a series sweep tonight at the hands of the Mets.
Livan Hernandez has started 58 games Washington, D.C., more than any other pitcher since baseball returned in 2005, and few men who have toed the rubber at either RFK Stadium or Nationals Park have been as beloved as the big right-hander. Tonight, Livo takes the mound under different circumstances, the news of his possible involvement in a federal money laundering case having gone mainstream yesterday.
If this was another town, or if this was another pitcher, the crowd response tonight might not be very pleasant. I have a hunch, though, that Hernandez will be greeted warmly as always when he emerges from the dugout shortly before 7:05 p.m. We shall see.
In other news, Ian Desmond has returned from paternity leave and has been added back to the roster. The Nationals optioned outfielder Roger Bernadina back to Class AAA Syracuse to make room for Desmond, who will start at shortstop tonight and bat sixth.
Plenty of updates to come…
METS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 70 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to RF
2B Danny Espinosa
CF Rick Ankiel
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig
- Scherzer dominates Cardinals' "A" lineup
- Harper on criticism, hopes for 2015: 'I want to do damage'