Apr 28, 2011, 8:17 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals try to avoid a series sweep tonight at the hands of the Mets.
Livan Hernandez has started 58 games Washington, D.C., more than any other pitcher since baseball returned in 2005, and few men who have toed the rubber at either RFK Stadium or Nationals Park have been as beloved as the big right-hander. Tonight, Livo takes the mound under different circumstances, the news of his possible involvement in a federal money laundering case having gone mainstream yesterday.
If this was another town, or if this was another pitcher, the crowd response tonight might not be very pleasant. I have a hunch, though, that Hernandez will be greeted warmly as always when he emerges from the dugout shortly before 7:05 p.m. We shall see.
In other news, Ian Desmond has returned from paternity leave and has been added back to the roster. The Nationals optioned outfielder Roger Bernadina back to Class AAA Syracuse to make room for Desmond, who will start at shortstop tonight and bat sixth.
Plenty of updates to come…
METS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Partly cloudy, 70 degrees, Wind 12 mph out to RF
2B Danny Espinosa
CF Rick Ankiel
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Rested Nats open series in Atlanta
- Is it time to start worrying about Anthony Rendon's injuries?
- State of the Nats: All-Stars announced soon, Giants coming to town
- Baseball in the District - Which Nats should be All-Stars?
- Desmond showing signs of a breakout at last
- The Baseball Show: An amazing week of pitching
- On long, up-and-down day, Strasburg stands tall
- Roark struggles as Nats lose second game of doubleheader
- Nats aim for sweep as Roark starts second game in Philly
- Strasburg steps up as Nats take 1st game of doubleheader in Philly