Apr 30, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
Updated at 3:48 p.m.
Ryan Zimmerman will have surgery Tuesday to repair a torn abdominal muscle, a procedure that will keep the Nationals third baseman out approximately six more weeks.
Zimmerman, who has been on the disabled list for three weeks since aggravating the injury while sliding headfirst into second base, was not making progress in his attempt to return through rest and rehab. He consulted a second doctor in Philadelphia on Friday, at which point a torn rectus muscle (the six-pack in the abdomen) was diagnosed.
Surgery will take place Tuesday in Philadelphia, with specialist Bill Meyers performing. The Nationals said rehab will begin the day after surgery, and general manager Mike Rizzo said rehab should take six weeks “if all goes well.”
That would put Zimmerman on target to return to the lineup in mid-June, about nine weeks removed from his last game.
“It’s tough,” said, who was hitting .357 in eight games before suffering the injury. “We went through it a couple of weeks trying to get it better. It’s frustrating, but it’s nice to have closure, get it fixed and get working to come back and help this team continue to play well like they have been.”
NLDS: NATIONALS VS. GIANTS
SAT: Game 2 at Washington, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3 at San Francisco, TBA (MLBN)
TUE: Game 4 at San Francisco, TBA (FS1)*
THU: Game 5 at Washington, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats decline to name Game 4 starter or playoff roster
- Nationals name Game 1 starter against Giants
- Breaking down the Nats and Giants season series
- Stock Watch: Rotation is sizzling heading into October
- Nationals draw Giants in NLDS after Wild Card win
- Braves' hitting coach resigns after trying season
- Game thread: Giants-Pirates battle to face Nats in NLDS
- Former Nats slugger Adam Dunn still plans to retire
- Giants or Pirates: who should Nats prefer to play in NLDS?
- How the '14 Nats are better than the '12 Nats