Apr 30, 2011, 7:21 PM EDT
Updated at 3:48 p.m.
Ryan Zimmerman will have surgery Tuesday to repair a torn abdominal muscle, a procedure that will keep the Nationals third baseman out approximately six more weeks.
Zimmerman, who has been on the disabled list for three weeks since aggravating the injury while sliding headfirst into second base, was not making progress in his attempt to return through rest and rehab. He consulted a second doctor in Philadelphia on Friday, at which point a torn rectus muscle (the six-pack in the abdomen) was diagnosed.
Surgery will take place Tuesday in Philadelphia, with specialist Bill Meyers performing. The Nationals said rehab will begin the day after surgery, and general manager Mike Rizzo said rehab should take six weeks “if all goes well.”
That would put Zimmerman on target to return to the lineup in mid-June, about nine weeks removed from his last game.
“It’s tough,” said, who was hitting .357 in eight games before suffering the injury. “We went through it a couple of weeks trying to get it better. It’s frustrating, but it’s nice to have closure, get it fixed and get working to come back and help this team continue to play well like they have been.”
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats and Marlins starters meet in tune-up
- Uggla hoping for starting job, not bench role with Nats
- AL East team scouting Phillies' Jonathan Papelbon
- Report: Nats making lefty relievers available for trade
- Strasburg labors in return from ankle sprain
- Former Nats OF released by Texas Rangers; Ohlendorf to Triple-A
- Nats announce season-opening rotation order
- Zimmerman expects to return in 2-3 days
- Strasburg returns to mound as Nats face Mets
- Storen returns to mound after 2-week absence