May 1, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann faces Matt Cain this afternoon at Nationals Park.
One day after becoming the first team in the live-ball era to draw nine walks and get hit by three pitches yet only score one run, the Nationals are going with a little different look at the plate.
Danny Espinosa (2 for his last 24) and Michael Morse (1 for his last 17) are each on the bench this afternoon against the Giants. That puts Jerry Hairston in the leadoff spot and Laynce Nix in left field. Nix also will hit cleanup, ahead of struggling Adam LaRoche.
Jordan Zimmermann takes the mound, hoping to bounce back from two straight outings in which he's allowed five earned runs. He's often been compared to the fellow right-hander starting today for the Giants: Matt Cain.
I'm covering Game 2 of the Caps-Lightning series tonight at Verizon Center, but Rich Dubroff is again filling in for me at CSNwashington.com. I'll be sure to link to his articles later…
GIANTS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Sunny, 67 degrees, Wind 9 mph in from LF
3B Jerry Hairston
CF Rick Ankiel
RF Jayson Werth
LF Laynce Nix
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Span returns to Nats lineup after missing several games
- Fister, Nats aim for series win against Mets in New York
- Gonzalez' pitching leads Nats over Mets
- Anthony Rendon has another setback in rehab from MCL sprain
- Gio starts as Nationals face Mets in New York
- Nats have had enough of the 8th inning
- Nats fall to Mets as Harvey bests Scherzer
- MLB amends rule involving Nats' top prospect
- Scherzer faces Harvey in marquee matchup
- Good news for Nats regarding Anthony Rendon's rehab