May 1, 2011, 4:44 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jordan Zimmermann faces Matt Cain this afternoon at Nationals Park.
One day after becoming the first team in the live-ball era to draw nine walks and get hit by three pitches yet only score one run, the Nationals are going with a little different look at the plate.
Danny Espinosa (2 for his last 24) and Michael Morse (1 for his last 17) are each on the bench this afternoon against the Giants. That puts Jerry Hairston in the leadoff spot and Laynce Nix in left field. Nix also will hit cleanup, ahead of struggling Adam LaRoche.
Jordan Zimmermann takes the mound, hoping to bounce back from two straight outings in which he's allowed five earned runs. He's often been compared to the fellow right-hander starting today for the Giants: Matt Cain.
I'm covering Game 2 of the Caps-Lightning series tonight at Verizon Center, but Rich Dubroff is again filling in for me at CSNwashington.com. I'll be sure to link to his articles later…
GIANTS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 188
Weather: Sunny, 67 degrees, Wind 9 mph in from LF
3B Jerry Hairston
CF Rick Ankiel
RF Jayson Werth
LF Laynce Nix
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Gio Gonzalez pulled from Nats' win with left shoulder tightness
- LaRoche's walk-off hit saves Nationals from sweep vs. Angels
- Former Senators pitcher Connie Marrero passes away
- Injury updates on Zimmerman and Hairston
- Baseball in the District: Thom Loverro of ESPN 980 talks Nats
- Gio, Nationals try to avoid getting swept by Angels
- Nationals Stock Watch: Harper has rough week
- How secure is struggling Jordan's rotation spot?
- Pujols gets 500th, Nats fall to Angels
- Pujols launches 500th homer at Nationals' expense