May 3, 2011, 7:44 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
Jayson Werth and the Nationals open a three-game series tonight in Philadelphia.
PHILADELPHIA — There are all kinds of connections between the two teams here tonight at Citizens Bank Park. Obviously, this marks Jayson Werth's return to Philadelphia, and the right fielder is sure to be greeted with plenty of venom from the bleachers when he takes the field for the bottom of the first.
But there are other connections, such as the guys hitting seventh and eighth for the Phillies: Pete Orr at Brian Schneider. Yeah, Orr and Schneider are starting tonight for the four-time NL East champs. Schneider, of course, caught the first game in Nationals history, from Livan Hernandez, right here in this park. And, to complete today's edition of "Six Degrees of Nats and Phillies," this is the 1,000th game in Nationals history, right back where it all started. (If only Terrmel Sledge was here to really commemorate the occasion.)
Some lineup changes for the Nats against lefty Cole Hamels. Rick Ankiel is out, so Jerry Hairston starts in center field, with Brian Bixler at third base. Ian Desmond gets bumped up to the 2-hole. Ivan Rodriguez is catching.
Plenty of updates to come, and be sure to check me out on Comcast SportsNet at 5:15 p.m. live from the ballpark…
NATIONALS at PHILLIES
Where: Citizens Bank Park
Gametime: 7:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), XM 185
Weather: Chance of showers, 77 degrees, Wind 13 mph out to CF
2B Danny Espinosa
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
1B Adam LaRoche
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2013 schedule (subject to change)...
TUE: 12:45 p.m., 4:30 p.m.
WED: 2:30 p.m.
THU: 4:30 p.m.
FRI: 12:45 p.m., 2:30 p.m.
SAT: 9:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Nats get lefty Blevins from A's for prospect
- Williams wants Davey to come to spring training
- Will Nats make amends for 2013? (VIDEO)
- Williams contemplates look of Nationals' lineup
- MLB to discuss home plate collisions at Winter Meetings
- Wilson, Blevins among Nationals trade targets
- Rizzo: Nats aren't trading Clippard, Storen, Span
- 6 weeks into MLB offseason and free agents are going fast
- Williams on Harper, Strasburg and more
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo on lefty reliever market (VIDEO)