May 3, 2011, 3:57 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Tom Gorzelanny tonight authored the latest gem by a Nationals starter.
They weren’t supposed to pitch like this. The Nationals’ rotation was supposed to be this club’s weakest link. Certainly, that’s the way it had been in previous seasons. And with Stephen Strasburg spending his spring and summer in Viera, Fla., rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, conventional wisdom suggested the Nats would be severely lacking in quality starting pitching.
So how to explain the fact that after Monday night’s 2-0 win over the Giants, the Nationals now own a .500 record, having accomplished that almost entirely on the backs of a rotation that was supposed to be lacking dominant arms?
“It’s been everything,” utilityman Jerry Hairston said. “For us to be .500 the way we’ve started off slow swinging the bats, our pitching staff has kept us right there. They’ve been outstanding and just giving us the chance to win, and that’s how you start to win. First you have to have pitching, then you have to have defense and then timely hitting.”
The Nationals haven’t been getting much in the way of hitting. They somehow won Monday’s game totaling five hits, four of them comingRead more
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Zimmermann squares off with Braves again
- 2014 Washington Nationals fantasy baseball preview
- Phillies Cole Hamels suffers setback, April looks doubtful
- Projecting Nats' roster midway through spring
- Nats introduce new 'Red Carpet Rewards' program
- Desmond hits 1 of Nationals' 4 homers in win
- Former Nats OF Rick Ankiel is retiring
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Nats position battles
- Gonzalez, Werth make long-awaited spring debuts
- How much will the Nationals run in 2014?