May 3, 2011, 3:57 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Tom Gorzelanny tonight authored the latest gem by a Nationals starter.
They weren’t supposed to pitch like this. The Nationals’ rotation was supposed to be this club’s weakest link. Certainly, that’s the way it had been in previous seasons. And with Stephen Strasburg spending his spring and summer in Viera, Fla., rehabbing from Tommy John surgery, conventional wisdom suggested the Nats would be severely lacking in quality starting pitching.
So how to explain the fact that after Monday night’s 2-0 win over the Giants, the Nationals now own a .500 record, having accomplished that almost entirely on the backs of a rotation that was supposed to be lacking dominant arms?
“It’s been everything,” utilityman Jerry Hairston said. “For us to be .500 the way we’ve started off slow swinging the bats, our pitching staff has kept us right there. They’ve been outstanding and just giving us the chance to win, and that’s how you start to win. First you have to have pitching, then you have to have defense and then timely hitting.”
The Nationals haven’t been getting much in the way of hitting. They somehow won Monday’s game totaling five hits, four of them comingRead more
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East
- Boras' 'internal rating' system says Nats have MLB's best rotation