May 3, 2011, 10:41 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Ryan Zimmerman had successful surgery here Tuesday to repair the torn abdominal muscle that had plagued him since early April, a procedure that is expected to keep the Nationals third baseman sidelined another six weeks.
Philadelphia specialist Bill Meyers performed the surgery and informed Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo it was less severe than doctors thought it might be beforehand.
“It was better than the surgeon thought when he got in there,” Rizzo said. “He said the surgery went very well. It was as least-invasive as it could be for that type of surgery.”
Zimmerman was back at the team hotel resting Tuesday evening. He’ll remain with the Nationals in Philadelphia through the rest of their series with the Phillies, beginning his rehab Wednesday, then return to Washington when the rest of the club continues its road trip to Florida.
Zimmerman originally hurt himself early in spring training with what was termed an abdominal strain. He returned after only a few days off, then missed another week later in March with what was called a groin
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Where will Nationals get their relief from?
- Werth officially set to return from DL vs. Miami
- Nats' NL East rival trades for former fan favorite Clippard
- State of the Nats: Thinking big before the trade deadline?
- Strasburg to take big step in rehab on Wednesday
- Report: Padres wanted ex-prospect back from Nats in Kimbrel trade
- The Baseball Show: A rough start to the second half
- Brutal stretch for Nats has end in sight; Taylor's heating up
- Cole pitches Pirates past Nationals 3-1
- Rendon sits, as Nats aim for series split with Pirates