May 4, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Michael Morse's solo homer last night accounted for the Nationals' entire offense.
PHILADELPHIA — Perhaps lost amid all the Jayson Werth hullabaloo last night was another feeble performance from the Nationals' lineup, which managed one run and five hits against Phillies starter Cole Hamels.
This, of course, was nothing new. The Nats have been held to one run or fewer five times in 29 games this season. And over their last 13 games, they've averaged a whopping 2.7 runs and 6.8 hits. For the season, they're now hitting a robust .225.
Now, last night's performance certainly had something to do with Hamels. The lefty was simply electric, going the distance and barely breaking a sweat doing it.
"When you have a guy that threw nine innings and threw a lot of strikes and located the baseball the way he wants it, it's tough," Ivan Rodriguez said afterward. "You've got to give credit to the pitcher. Credit goes to him today. He threw the ball in, mixed in off-speed,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Instant analysis: Nationals 8, Diamondbacks 1
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win
- Nationals keep streak alive vs. D-backs