May 4, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Michael Morse's solo homer last night accounted for the Nationals' entire offense.
PHILADELPHIA — Perhaps lost amid all the Jayson Werth hullabaloo last night was another feeble performance from the Nationals' lineup, which managed one run and five hits against Phillies starter Cole Hamels.
This, of course, was nothing new. The Nats have been held to one run or fewer five times in 29 games this season. And over their last 13 games, they've averaged a whopping 2.7 runs and 6.8 hits. For the season, they're now hitting a robust .225.
Now, last night's performance certainly had something to do with Hamels. The lefty was simply electric, going the distance and barely breaking a sweat doing it.
"When you have a guy that threw nine innings and threw a lot of strikes and located the baseball the way he wants it, it's tough," Ivan Rodriguez said afterward. "You've got to give credit to the pitcher. Credit goes to him today. He threw the ball in, mixed in off-speed,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard