May 4, 2011, 3:15 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Michael Morse's solo homer last night accounted for the Nationals' entire offense.
PHILADELPHIA — Perhaps lost amid all the Jayson Werth hullabaloo last night was another feeble performance from the Nationals' lineup, which managed one run and five hits against Phillies starter Cole Hamels.
This, of course, was nothing new. The Nats have been held to one run or fewer five times in 29 games this season. And over their last 13 games, they've averaged a whopping 2.7 runs and 6.8 hits. For the season, they're now hitting a robust .225.
Now, last night's performance certainly had something to do with Hamels. The lefty was simply electric, going the distance and barely breaking a sweat doing it.
"When you have a guy that threw nine innings and threw a lot of strikes and located the baseball the way he wants it, it's tough," Ivan Rodriguez said afterward. "You've got to give credit to the pitcher. Credit goes to him today. He threw the ball in, mixed in off-speed,Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
Through Sunday's games
NL PLAYOFFS STANDINGS
y-Clinched playoff berth
Through Sunday's early games
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Marlins at Nats (DH), 1:05 p.m., 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Marlins at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Marlins at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Braves likely to make 'significant' changes this winter
- PHOTO: Nats get hero's welcome at Dulles on Sunday night
- As October looms, Strasburg and Nats are peaking
- Strasburg solves struggles in Miami, Nats win 2-1
- Barrett's role expanding with September surge
- Strasburg starts, but several regulars sit today
- As Nats hold breath, Zimmerman passes test
- Nationals win in Zimmerman's return
- Zimmerman begins race to get ready for October
- Zimmerman's back as Nationals face Marlins