May 4, 2011, 4:14 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth doffs his helmet upon stepping to the plate in the first inning.
PHILADELPHIA — From the moment he walked into Citizens Bank Park Tuesday afternoon, past the Phillies clubhouse he called home for four years and into the visitors’ digs for the first time in a long time, Jayson Werth was unquestionably the center of attention around here.
His every move was chronicled. His every action was greeted with a vocal response from the sellout crowd of 45,695, some negative, but many more positive. His every answer to every question about returning to Philadelphia in a Nationals uniform was scribbled down or recorded by the throng of reporters that hung on his every word.
And at the end of the night, Werth perhaps best summed the whole experience in two short sentences.
“I enjoyed it,” he said. “I enjoyed every second of it.”
Well, perhaps not the part where the Nationals lost, 4-1, to the Phillies. That couldn’t have been too enjoyable for the losing club’s $126 million right fielder, who on Tuesday experienced for the first time what dozens of others in Nationals uniforms have been experiencing for years.
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Nats at Marlins, 12:40 p.m.
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m. TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins
- Nationals can't fight back against Marlins, lose 3-0
- Werth out but says ankle sprain isn't serious
- Strasburg takes mound for big start vs. Marlins
- Zimmermann returns to form in dominant start
- Around the NL East: Which team will make a big splash via trade?
- After meltdown, Nationals must bounce back
- Werth hopes to play Tuesday after spraining ankle