May 4, 2011, 4:14 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth doffs his helmet upon stepping to the plate in the first inning.
PHILADELPHIA — From the moment he walked into Citizens Bank Park Tuesday afternoon, past the Phillies clubhouse he called home for four years and into the visitors’ digs for the first time in a long time, Jayson Werth was unquestionably the center of attention around here.
His every move was chronicled. His every action was greeted with a vocal response from the sellout crowd of 45,695, some negative, but many more positive. His every answer to every question about returning to Philadelphia in a Nationals uniform was scribbled down or recorded by the throng of reporters that hung on his every word.
And at the end of the night, Werth perhaps best summed the whole experience in two short sentences.
“I enjoyed it,” he said. “I enjoyed every second of it.”
Well, perhaps not the part where the Nationals lost, 4-1, to the Phillies. That couldn’t have been too enjoyable for the losing club’s $126 million right fielder, who on Tuesday experienced for the first time what dozens of others in Nationals uniforms have been experiencing for years.
NL EAST STANDINGS
x-Clinched division title
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Michael Jenkins takes walkoff pie to the face (VIDEO)
- Nats move on to Miami with Gio starting in hometown
- PHOTO: Kevin Durant rocks a Nats jersey
- UPDATE: Nats DFA Perez, claim Twins shortstop
- If healthy, Zimmerman should be in Nats lineup
- Post-clinch, Nationals rookies get chance to shine
- Nationals' backups fall to Braves in series finale in Atlanta
- Nats will keep playing, try to secure No. 1 seed
- Nationals going with all backups tonight vs. Braves
- Nationals' division titles are no small achievement