May 4, 2011, 10:17 PM EST
PHILADELPHIA — Ryan Zimmerman, 24 hours removed from surgery to repair an abdominal tear, walked one mile on a treadmill Wednesday morning. It took the Nationals third baseman 30 minutes to do it.
"I was flying," he said.
OK, so Zimmerman wasn't exactly walking at normal speed, nor was he anywhere close to running speed. But this was an encouraging first step in the wake of Tuesday's surgery to repair a tear of the rectus muscle in his abdomen.
By all accounts, the arthroscopic procedure performed by Philadelphia-area specialist Bill Meyers went as smoothly as expected, and Zimmerman is expected to return to the Nationals' lineup in six weeks (mid-June).
"There was a decent tear in there that he fixed," Zimmerman said. "But with what he looked at in the MRI, it was exactly what he thought it was going to be when he went in there. Most importantly, he thinks that the timetable that they set before he went in there is right aboutRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'