May 4, 2011, 10:17 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Ryan Zimmerman, 24 hours removed from surgery to repair an abdominal tear, walked one mile on a treadmill Wednesday morning. It took the Nationals third baseman 30 minutes to do it.
"I was flying," he said.
OK, so Zimmerman wasn't exactly walking at normal speed, nor was he anywhere close to running speed. But this was an encouraging first step in the wake of Tuesday's surgery to repair a tear of the rectus muscle in his abdomen.
By all accounts, the arthroscopic procedure performed by Philadelphia-area specialist Bill Meyers went as smoothly as expected, and Zimmerman is expected to return to the Nationals' lineup in six weeks (mid-June).
"There was a decent tear in there that he fixed," Zimmerman said. "But with what he looked at in the MRI, it was exactly what he thought it was going to be when he went in there. Most importantly, he thinks that the timetable that they set before he went in there is right aboutRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
NL POSTSEASON SCHEDULE
WED: Giants at Pirates, 8:07 p.m. (ESPN)
FRI: Game 1, Pirates at Nats, 12:07 p.m.,
OR Giants at Nats, 3:07 p.m. (FS1)
SAT: Game 2, PIT/SF at Nats, 5:37 p.m. (FS1)
MON: Game 3, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (MLBN)
OCT. 7: Game 4, Nats at PIT/SF, TBA (FS1)*
OCT. 9: Game 5, PIT/SF at Nats, TBA (FS1)*
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Game thread: Who will advance in AL Wild Card game?
- Bryce Harper to play showcase in Japan after MLB playoffs
- MLB postseason begins tonight: Wild Card playoff preview
- 5 questions facing the Nationals in the postseason
- Nats finding ways to stay sharp (VIDEO)
- Games 1 and 2 at Nationals Park will be matinees
- Revisiting Opening Day predictions on the Nats
- Zimmermann named NL Player of the Week for 2nd time this year
- Nats' plan to stay fresh before Game 1 of the NLDS
- Denard Span sets Nats hits record to add to special day