May 4, 2011, 10:17 PM EDT
PHILADELPHIA — Ryan Zimmerman, 24 hours removed from surgery to repair an abdominal tear, walked one mile on a treadmill Wednesday morning. It took the Nationals third baseman 30 minutes to do it.
"I was flying," he said.
OK, so Zimmerman wasn't exactly walking at normal speed, nor was he anywhere close to running speed. But this was an encouraging first step in the wake of Tuesday's surgery to repair a tear of the rectus muscle in his abdomen.
By all accounts, the arthroscopic procedure performed by Philadelphia-area specialist Bill Meyers went as smoothly as expected, and Zimmerman is expected to return to the Nationals' lineup in six weeks (mid-June).
"There was a decent tear in there that he fixed," Zimmerman said. "But with what he looked at in the MRI, it was exactly what he thought it was going to be when he went in there. Most importantly, he thinks that the timetable that they set before he went in there is right aboutRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Zimmermann, Nats get huge test with King Felix out in Seattle
- Nats extend contract with Single-A Hagerstown
- The Baseball Show: Williams for Manager of the Year?
- MLB Power Rankings: L.A. Angels flying high
- Mariners will have familiar face as manager vs. Nats this weekend
- Nats extend deal with Auburn Doubledays of NYP League
- Baseball in the District - MLB radio's Casey Stern & Todd Dybas
- Reason to worry about Nats after 3-game sweep?
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals