May 5, 2011, 4:15 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Jim Riggleman was ejected by Alfonso Marquez after arguing a called third strike.
PHILADELPHIA — Jim Riggleman was ejected Wednesday night for the first time this season, arguing a called third strike on Adam LaRoche in the top of the fourth inning of what would eventually become a 7-4 loss to the Phillies. Riggleman had a few choice words for plate umpire Alfonso Marquez, who wasted no time in giving the Nationals manager the heave-ho.
Clearly, Riggleman must have seen some compelling evidence from the dugout to suggest Vance Worley’s two-seam fastball to LaRoche was outside. Right?
“I can’t see anything there,” the manager admitted afterward. “I can’t really see anything in[side] and out[side]. The height of the pitch, I know, was good.”
So why argue so quickly and so vehemently after LaRoche muttered a few things to Marquez on his way back to the dugout?
“I just basically was … you know, Adam doesn’t say anything. He’s so composed and quiet,” Riggleman said. “He doesn’t complain. So if he’s complaining, I felt like it’s worthy of complaint, you know?”
LaRoche, for his part, acknowledged his dissatisfaction at that moment had less to do with Marquez’s judgment of the strike zone and more to
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day