May 5, 2011, 10:00 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Jim Riggleman will make his third All-Star appearance in 12 seasons as a manager.
PHILADELPHIA — Nationals manager Jim Riggleman has been selected as a member of the National League’s coaching staff for this summer’s All-Star Game, according to two sources familiar with the decision.
Riggleman is one of two coaches picked by Bruce Bochy, who as manager of the World Series champion Giants last fall will serve as NL skipper for the July 12 game in Phoenix. He’ll be joined by Kirk Gibson, manager of the host Diamondbacks.
Bochy and Riggleman’s careers are closely connected. Bochy was third-base coach on the 1993 and 1994 Padres clubs led by Riggleman, then took over as manager in 1995 after the latter was fired. He wound up at the helm in San Diego for 12 seasons before moving on to San Francisco in 2007.
Riggleman spoke glowingly of his former protege earlier this week after the Nationals won three of four against the Giants.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement