May 5, 2011, 10:00 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jim Riggleman will make his third All-Star appearance in 12 seasons as a manager.
PHILADELPHIA — Nationals manager Jim Riggleman has been selected as a member of the National League’s coaching staff for this summer’s All-Star Game, according to two sources familiar with the decision.
Riggleman is one of two coaches picked by Bruce Bochy, who as manager of the World Series champion Giants last fall will serve as NL skipper for the July 12 game in Phoenix. He’ll be joined by Kirk Gibson, manager of the host Diamondbacks.
Bochy and Riggleman’s careers are closely connected. Bochy was third-base coach on the 1993 and 1994 Padres clubs led by Riggleman, then took over as manager in 1995 after the latter was fired. He wound up at the helm in San Diego for 12 seasons before moving on to San Francisco in 2007.
Riggleman spoke glowingly of his former protege earlier this week after the Nationals won three of four against the Giants.
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Moss' 3-run homer ends it as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nats make first round of September call-ups
- Nationals turn to Ross for big game in St. Louis
- The Baseball Show: Is Denard Span’s Nats career over?
- Nationals let another one slip away
- Heyward's 2B keys rally as Cardinals beat Nationals 8-5
- Nationals open pivotal series in St. Louis
- State of the Nats: Cardinals up next; Werth heating up
- Taylor avoids injury scare, returns to lineup with a bang
- Strasburg leaves Nats win over Marlins with injury