May 5, 2011, 3:19 PM EST
US Presswire photo
Like the Nats, the Caps have suffered their share of heartbreakers in recent seasons. Unlike the Nats, at least they've made the playoffs and been in position to win.
PHILADELPHIA — It seems to be the sports storyline that never ends in Washington: Local team offers glimpse of hope, only to underachieve and break everyone's hearts in the end.
It obviously happened last night with the Capitals, who were swept by the Lightning in the Eastern Conference semifinals and despite four consecutive division titles are now 2-4 in playoff series under coach Bruce Boudreau.
It's certainly happened plenty of times over the last two decades with the Redskins, who have copyrighted the notion of getting fans excited in the offseason only to underachieve come the actual season.
It's happened with the Wizards, who despite anticipation over No. 1 draft pick John Wall posted the fourth-worst record in the NBA and over the last three years own a .276 winning percentage.
And, of course, it's happened with the Nationals over much of the last six-plus years, from their stunning collapse from 100-win pace to .500 record in 2005, to back-to-back 100-loss seasons in 2008-09, to the ultimate torture: Stephen Strasburg undergoing Tommy John surgery less than three months after making one of the greatest debuts inRead more »
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Bryce Harper on potential for $400M contract: 'Don't sell me short'
- Nationals to give out Bryce Harper Chia Pets in 2016
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Shawn Kelley adds needed depth to bullpen
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Kansas City Royals
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Will Michael Taylor become an everyday outfielder?
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club