May 5, 2011, 3:19 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Like the Nats, the Caps have suffered their share of heartbreakers in recent seasons. Unlike the Nats, at least they've made the playoffs and been in position to win.
PHILADELPHIA — It seems to be the sports storyline that never ends in Washington: Local team offers glimpse of hope, only to underachieve and break everyone's hearts in the end.
It obviously happened last night with the Capitals, who were swept by the Lightning in the Eastern Conference semifinals and despite four consecutive division titles are now 2-4 in playoff series under coach Bruce Boudreau.
It's certainly happened plenty of times over the last two decades with the Redskins, who have copyrighted the notion of getting fans excited in the offseason only to underachieve come the actual season.
It's happened with the Wizards, who despite anticipation over No. 1 draft pick John Wall posted the fourth-worst record in the NBA and over the last three years own a .276 winning percentage.
And, of course, it's happened with the Nationals over much of the last six-plus years, from their stunning collapse from 100-win pace to .500 record in 2005, to back-to-back 100-loss seasons in 2008-09, to the ultimate torture: Stephen Strasburg undergoing Tommy John surgery less than three months after making one of the greatest debuts inRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
THU: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
FRI: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Phillies at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SUN: Phillies at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Orioles at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
WED: Mets at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Mike Rizzo: Cabrera deal was made out of necessity (VIDEO)
- Nats make deadline move for Asdrubal Cabrera
- Gio, Nats host Phillies for first of four-game set at Nationals Park
- On deadline day, Nationals have decisions to make
- Nationals Stock Watch: Roark leading Nats' rotation
- Nationals get a big rally, then hang on for dear life
- Nats end road trip with much-needed 4-3 win over Marlins
- Bryce Harper rediscovers his hitting stroke
- Nationals need win today to avoid losing road trip
- Depleted Nationals lineup shut out by Marlins