May 6, 2011, 4:29 AM EST
US Presswire photo
John Lannan departs without recording an out in the third inning.
PHILADELPHIA — John Lannan lives just outside of New York City, so with the Nationals only 95 miles down the road this week, he took the opportunity to head home Tuesday night to see family.
But on the way back down the New Jersey Turnpike Wednesday afternoon, he was stopped dead in his tracks by a major accident. His car sat idle for three hours before the road finally was cleared again.
Betcha given the choice between three hours stuck in traffic or three hours facing the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park, Lannan would choose the former. In the car, at least you can listen to the radio. In Philly, you have to listen to the jeers of 45,000 fans while getting your brains battered around by the opponent you simply can’t beat.
The numbers are staggering, and they say it all: After Thursday’s 7-3 loss, Lannan now owns an 0-10 record and 6.44 ERA in 13 career starts against the Phillies.
“That’s too much, for the quality of stuff that John has, for any club to do that,” manager Jim Riggleman said. “I don’t really have an explanation, other than they’re always a very good ballclub. But they just see him good or something. Most of their guys are on him good. As much as he’s going to see the Phillies in this division, we’ve just got to do better than that.”
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Stephen Strasburg's contract year
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Detroit Tigers
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- Report: All-Star catcher Lucroy has Nats on no-trade list
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Max Scherzer more important in Year 2
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: An important year for Wilson Ramos
- NL East: Phillies add new alternate uniform for 2016 (PHOTOS)