May 6, 2011, 4:29 AM EDT
US Presswire photo
John Lannan departs without recording an out in the third inning.
PHILADELPHIA — John Lannan lives just outside of New York City, so with the Nationals only 95 miles down the road this week, he took the opportunity to head home Tuesday night to see family.
But on the way back down the New Jersey Turnpike Wednesday afternoon, he was stopped dead in his tracks by a major accident. His car sat idle for three hours before the road finally was cleared again.
Betcha given the choice between three hours stuck in traffic or three hours facing the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park, Lannan would choose the former. In the car, at least you can listen to the radio. In Philly, you have to listen to the jeers of 45,000 fans while getting your brains battered around by the opponent you simply can’t beat.
The numbers are staggering, and they say it all: After Thursday’s 7-3 loss, Lannan now owns an 0-10 record and 6.44 ERA in 13 career starts against the Phillies.
“That’s too much, for the quality of stuff that John has, for any club to do that,” manager Jim Riggleman said. “I don’t really have an explanation, other than they’re always a very good ballclub. But they just see him good or something. Most of their guys are on him good. As much as he’s going to see the Phillies in this division, we’ve just got to do better than that.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win