May 6, 2011, 4:29 AM EST
US Presswire photo
John Lannan departs without recording an out in the third inning.
PHILADELPHIA — John Lannan lives just outside of New York City, so with the Nationals only 95 miles down the road this week, he took the opportunity to head home Tuesday night to see family.
But on the way back down the New Jersey Turnpike Wednesday afternoon, he was stopped dead in his tracks by a major accident. His car sat idle for three hours before the road finally was cleared again.
Betcha given the choice between three hours stuck in traffic or three hours facing the Phillies at Citizens Bank Park, Lannan would choose the former. In the car, at least you can listen to the radio. In Philly, you have to listen to the jeers of 45,000 fans while getting your brains battered around by the opponent you simply can’t beat.
The numbers are staggering, and they say it all: After Thursday’s 7-3 loss, Lannan now owns an 0-10 record and 6.44 ERA in 13 career starts against the Phillies.
“That’s too much, for the quality of stuff that John has, for any club to do that,” manager Jim Riggleman said. “I don’t really have an explanation, other than they’re always a very good ballclub. But they just see him good or something. Most of their guys are on him good. As much as he’s going to see the Phillies in this division, we’ve just got to do better than that.”
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera