May 7, 2011, 3:32 AM EDT
Ankiel hadn’t played since Monday, when he injured himself making a diving catch of Miguel Tejada’s sinking line drive at Nationals Park. Though X-rays and an MRI came back negative, the club decided the 31-year-old needed more time to heal. The DL move is retroactive to Tuesday, so he’ll be eligible to return as early as May 19.
Though the Nationals won’t announce a corresponding move until tomorrow, Roger Bernadina is expected to be recalled from Class AAA Syracuse. The outfielder was pulled from tonight’s game in Durham, N.C., during the fourth inning after going 0-for-2.
Bernadina, 26, spent two days on the Nationals’ roster last week when shortstop Ian Desmond went on paternity leave. He went 2-for-3 with a double.
With Ankiel now on the DL, Bernadina figures to see significant playing time in center field.
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Ross continues to impress, but Mets showing their worth
- Duda, Cespedes too much for Nationals
- Cespedes debuts for Mets, as Nats aim to even series
- Nats are in a real pennant race now
- Mets beat Nats 2-1 in epic game capped by Flores walk-off
- Nats' reliever to get second opinion on ailing shoulder
- Catching up with now-Mets pitcher Tyler Clippard
- Mets get Cespedes for big series vs. Nats
- Nats, Mets begin weekend series with first place on the line
- MLB Power Rankings: Hamels, Price, Tulo all get traded