May 7, 2011, 3:32 AM EST
Ankiel hadn’t played since Monday, when he injured himself making a diving catch of Miguel Tejada’s sinking line drive at Nationals Park. Though X-rays and an MRI came back negative, the club decided the 31-year-old needed more time to heal. The DL move is retroactive to Tuesday, so he’ll be eligible to return as early as May 19.
Though the Nationals won’t announce a corresponding move until tomorrow, Roger Bernadina is expected to be recalled from Class AAA Syracuse. The outfielder was pulled from tonight’s game in Durham, N.C., during the fourth inning after going 0-for-2.
Bernadina, 26, spent two days on the Nationals’ roster last week when shortstop Ian Desmond went on paternity leave. He went 2-for-3 with a double.
With Ankiel now on the DL, Bernadina figures to see significant playing time in center field.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day
- Souza's name crops up in complex trade talks
- Clippard: 'I hope we all stay together for at least one more shot'
- Nats GM Mike Rizzo explains trading Detwiler; talks prospects
- Nats announce date pitchers and catchers will report to Viera
- Nationals react to Detwiler and LaRoche leaving this offseason
- Ian Desmond goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at Nats Fest
- Zuckerman on the Nats and Bryce Harper's contract settlement