May 7, 2011, 3:32 AM EDT
Ankiel hadn’t played since Monday, when he injured himself making a diving catch of Miguel Tejada’s sinking line drive at Nationals Park. Though X-rays and an MRI came back negative, the club decided the 31-year-old needed more time to heal. The DL move is retroactive to Tuesday, so he’ll be eligible to return as early as May 19.
Though the Nationals won’t announce a corresponding move until tomorrow, Roger Bernadina is expected to be recalled from Class AAA Syracuse. The outfielder was pulled from tonight’s game in Durham, N.C., during the fourth inning after going 0-for-2.
Bernadina, 26, spent two days on the Nationals’ roster last week when shortstop Ian Desmond went on paternity leave. He went 2-for-3 with a double.
With Ankiel now on the DL, Bernadina figures to see significant playing time in center field.
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Mets Wheeler admits it's hard not to think about 2015
- The Baseball Show: How good will Bryce Harper be in 2014?
- Podcast: Baseball in The District - Sammy Solis talks spring
- Harper, Detwiler lead Nationals against Mets
- Purke, Taylor among latest round of Nats cuts
- Has Jimmy Rollins been benched in Philly?
- Roark gives up 3 runs in Nats loss
- Nationals split up to face Astros, Braves
- Prospects Cole, Rivero cut from big-league camp
- Desperate Braves sign Santana for $14 million