May 8, 2011, 2:43 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals seek a rare sweep of the Marlins at Sun Life Stadium today.
How much do the Nationals dislike playing in South Florida? Well, consider this is their 20th series played at Sun Life Stadium since relocating from Montreal. They won only three of the previous 19 series, with their only sweep coming in September 2005. Suffice it to say, a victory today (completing their first sweep of the Marlins since) would be a significant accomplishment.
If the Nats are going to pull that off, though, they're going to have to do it without Jayson Werth, who is out of the lineup for only the second time this season. Why sit the $126 million man, especially after a fairly productive game from him last night both at the plate and in the field? Well, if you read my series preview on Friday, you know he's 2-for-22 with 15 strikeouts in his career against Florida starter Anibal Sanchez.
Michael Morse is back in the Nationals lineup after missing four games with a sore knee. Roger Bernadina (2-for-4 with a walk and a stolen base last night) remains in the leadoff spot, with Ian Desmond behind him.
Enjoy the game, and more importantly, hope all you moms out there — or, as is the case in the Zuckerman household, all you soon-to-be-moms out there — enjoy a fantastic Mother's Day!…
NATIONALS at MARLINS
Where: Sun Life Stadium
Gametime: 1:10 p.m.
TV: MASN, Ch. 50
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 185
Weather: Partly cloudy, 85 degrees, Wind 6 mph in from RF
CF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
RF Laynce Nix
1B Adam LaRoche
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals again can't beat struggling Reds
- Span, Escobar exit game vs. Reds with apparent injuries
- Max Scherzer gets All-Star nod, two Nats left out
- Live Thread: Nationals open series vs. Reds
- More revealing Bryce Harper Body Issue photos released
- Bryce Harper makes decision on Home Run Derby
- Nationals sweep Giants behind Zimmermann, Ramos
- Two Giants ejected after arguing call vs. Nationals
- Live Thread: Nationals face Giants in Sunday night matchup
- Harper voted All-Star starter in record-breaking fashion