May 12, 2011, 7:45 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats try to finish their road trip with a winning record tonight at Turner Field.
What would you have thought one week ago, right after the Nationals were swept in Philadelphia, if I said they'd have a chance to end this nine-game road trip with a winning record? And what would you have thought two weeks ago if I said the Nats would have a chance to end a 13-game stretch against the Giants, Phillies, Marlins and Braves with an 8-5 record? With Ryan Zimmerman about to undergo surgery?
How quickly things can change. The Nationals enter tonight's game in Atlanta looking to sweep the Braves, close out the road trip with five wins in six games and get their record over the .500 mark to boot.
In order to do all that, they'll need to string together some hits against Derek Lowe (who shut them out on Opening Day in D.C.). They'll also need another strong start from Jordan Zimmermann. And, in all likelihood, they'll need a shutdown performance from the back of their bullpen, perhaps from Drew Storen (who hasn't allowed an earned run in 20 appearances, not since his first outing of the season).
You know by now that I'm not in Atlanta, but the good news is I'll be back at Nationals Park tomorrow night for the start of the homestand, and I'll be making the road trips to both New York and Baltimore next week. Until then, enjoy tonight's game…
NATIONALS at BRAVES
Where: Turner Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 184
Weather: Partly cloudy, 86 degrees, Wind 6 mph out to CF
CF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
LF Laynce Nix
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Harper back in lineup as Nats face Cards
- Nats make 6 cuts as roster begins to take shape
- Forbes: Nats nearly doubled in franchise value from 2014 to 2015
- Gonzalez settles down, with help from Scherzer
- Former Nats pitcher earns rotation spot with Texas Rangers
- Ian Desmond ranks highly among shortstops, according to ESPN
- Gio Gonzalez faces Mets in Viera
- Harper sidelined as Nats' injuries continue to mount
- Who should Nats' tab as Rendon's fill-in?
- Podcast: 'Baseball in the District' - Mark Zuckerman & Marc Carig