May 14, 2011, 4:02 PM EDT
Broderick is now available for any other club in the majors to claim off waivers, though as a Rule 5 draftee he would have to remain on their big-league roster for the remainder of the season. If he goes unclaimed, the Nationals must then offer him back to the Cardinals, his former organization. Only if St. Louis passes could the Nationals retain Broderick and send him to the minors.
“Obviously we had reasons to keep Broderick on the roster,” general manager Mike Rizzo said. “We tried to see if we could absorb him in the bullpen to keep him, because he was a Rule 5 pick. … He gave it his all. We really like him. And I think he’s got a bright future in the big leagues.”
The 24-year-old sinkerballer, a starter throughout his minor-league career, was in an awkward position pitching out of the Nationals’ bullpen as a long reliever. Manager Jim Riggleman was reluctant to use him in situations of consequence, but with other options exhausted Friday night was compelled to pitch him in the 11th inning against the Marlins. Broderick wound up surrendering the game-winning double to
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com.
- Bryce Harper benched in Nats' loss to Cardinals for 'lack of hustle'
- Anthony Rendon error costs Nationals in loss to Cardinals
- Nats activate Denard Span from 7-day DL, option Steven Souza, Jr.
- Zimmermann, Nats look for two in a row vs. Cardinals
- Drew Storen comes through in Nats' 3-1 win over Cardinals
- Nationals respond to Williams' challenge, beat Cards
- Nats strike early on Wacha, beat Cardinals 3-1
- Span to join Nats on Saturday after second rehab game
- Ramos takes first swings since breaking left hand
- Denard Span on track to return to Nats this weekend