May 14, 2011, 4:02 PM EST
Broderick is now available for any other club in the majors to claim off waivers, though as a Rule 5 draftee he would have to remain on their big-league roster for the remainder of the season. If he goes unclaimed, the Nationals must then offer him back to the Cardinals, his former organization. Only if St. Louis passes could the Nationals retain Broderick and send him to the minors.
“Obviously we had reasons to keep Broderick on the roster,” general manager Mike Rizzo said. “We tried to see if we could absorb him in the bullpen to keep him, because he was a Rule 5 pick. … He gave it his all. We really like him. And I think he’s got a bright future in the big leagues.”
The 24-year-old sinkerballer, a starter throughout his minor-league career, was in an awkward position pitching out of the Nationals’ bullpen as a long reliever. Manager Jim Riggleman was reluctant to use him in situations of consequence, but with other options exhausted Friday night was compelled to pitch him in the 11th inning against the Marlins. Broderick wound up surrendering the game-winning double to
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats roster preview: Yunel Escobar
- Final thoughts on the Max Scherzer signing
- Veteran C John Buck signs with Braves, his eighth MLB team
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Colorado Rockies
- How big of a haul could the Nats get for trading Stephen Strasburg?
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Ian Desmond
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees