May 14, 2011, 4:16 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
After a tough loss last night, the Nationals try to bounce back today.
Plenty going on in advance of this afternoon's ballgame. First up, if you didn't see the news below, the Nationals designated Brian Broderick for assignment and recalled Cole Kimball from Class AAA Sryacuse, giving the bullpen another incredibly hard-thrower (albeit one with no big-league experience).
Forgot to mention this last night, but Ian Desmond strained his left quadriceps muscle during the game. He was able to finish the night out, though Jim Riggleman said he would have used a pinch-runner for the shortstop had he reached in the 11th inning. Desmond is out of the lineup today, and though he's available to come off the bench if needed, Riggleman would love to give him the full day off to make sure he's OK.
Meanwhile, it's "Pups in the Park" day at Nationals Park, featuring a couple of very special guests. If you happen to see a five-month-pregnant blond woman with a little 20-pound, light-brown terrier sitting in Section 140, make sure to say hello to Mrs. Z and Tommy!
I'll probably stop down there at some point to see my wife and pup, but I'll remain up here in the press box most of the afternoon to provide the usual array of updates…
MARLINS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 187
Weather: Cloudy, 65 degrees, Wind 8 mph RF to LF
CF Roger Bernadina
2B Danny Espinosa
RF Jayson Werth
LF Laynce Nix
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Dusty Baker on Nationals: "Why not now, and why not me?"
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Houston Astros
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Tanner Roark bounce back as a starter?
- Craig Stammen signs minor league deal with Cleveland
- Report: Tyler Clippard signs deal with NL West club
- 2016 MLB roster outlook: Los Angeles Dodgers
- Bryce Harper shows off Redskins hat en route to Super Bowl
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Joe Ross take the next step?
- Nationals sign veteran infielder to minor league deal
- 2016 Nats roster outlook: Can Gio Gonzalez be more consistent?