May 14, 2011, 10:26 PM EDT
US Presswire photo
Jayson Werth and the Nationals haven’t been making solid contact all season.
There’s a prevailing belief in baseball that no real conclusions can be drawn about a team until Memorial Day. By that point, the season is about 33 percent complete, and typically a team’s performance through late May is going to be fairly representative of its performance by season’s end.
So the Nationals still have time to change the narrative of their 2011 season, to establish themselves as something more than a club that gets good pitching and great defense but simply can’t produce at the plate.
But not that much time.
Saturday’s 1-0 loss to the Marlins, as frustrating a game as they’ve played to date, came in their 39th contest of the year. They’ve just about reached the quarter pole, and Memorial Day is only two weeks away. It’s tough to imagine a team hitting a collective .222 in the final week of May suddenly breaking out and becoming an offensive force over the remainder of the season.
Yet inside the home clubhouse at Nationals Park, there remains an overwhelming vibe that this run-producing funk won’t last forever.
“Obviously, we’re working hard and the results just aren’t there,” right fielder Jayson Werth said. “But it’s a long season. It’s a game of averages. We play 162 games in six months, and that’s why they decided to make the season that long.”
NL EAST STANDINGS
WED: Diamondbacks at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
THU: Diamondbacks at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
FRI: Giants at Nats, 7:05 p.m.
SAT: Giants at Nats, 4:05 p.m.
SUN: Giants at Nats, 1:35 p.m.
MON: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Phillies, 7:05 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Strasburg gives Nats 'what the doctor ordered'
- Strasburg tames Diamondbacks in 8-1 victory
- Gonzalez on the Nats' rotation: 'I want to catch up' (VIDEO)
- Nats' McLouth to have shoulder surgery, out for season
- LaRoche, Desmond and Fister take on the ice bucket (VIDEO)
- Strasburg, Nationals go for eighth straight win against Arizona
- State of the Nationals' bullpen: Exhausted
- Around the NL East: Are the Marlins legit contenders?
- LaRoche finally gets to savor first walk-off homer
- Nats beat Diamondbacks in third straight walk-off win