May 15, 2011, 9:40 PM EDT
Todd Coffey was sporting a large welt that including visible seams from the baseball that struck him near the right elbow during today's game, but the Nationals reliever appears to have avoided serious injury.
X-rays came back negative, and Coffey's status is day-to-day with a bruise.
"It just a little sore," he said. "I already did about three rounds of ice on it and treatment. The key now is just get the swelling down. The doctor looked at it, and nothing's broken, which is the main thing. Get the swelling out, and I'll be good to go."
The right-hander entered from the Nationals' bullpen — with his usual sprint to the mound — with two outs in the top of the seventh. Marlins second baseman Emilio Bonifacio crushed a line drive straight back up the middle, and Coffey couldn't get out of the way fast enough. The ball struck him just above his right elbow and caromed towardRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- After nailbiter, Nationals on the cusp of a clinch
- Strasburg dominates as Nats win 4-2
- Harper latest Nats player to come down with bug
- LaRoche named finalist for Man of Year award
- Zimmerman ready for game action in Viera
- Strasburg tries to exorcise Atlanta demons
- Nationals putting NLDS tickets on sale Monday
- State of the Nats: Nationals can clinch this week against rivals
- Can the Nationals clinch in Atlanta this week?
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets