May 15, 2011, 9:40 PM EST
Todd Coffey was sporting a large welt that including visible seams from the baseball that struck him near the right elbow during today's game, but the Nationals reliever appears to have avoided serious injury.
X-rays came back negative, and Coffey's status is day-to-day with a bruise.
"It just a little sore," he said. "I already did about three rounds of ice on it and treatment. The key now is just get the swelling down. The doctor looked at it, and nothing's broken, which is the main thing. Get the swelling out, and I'll be good to go."
The right-hander entered from the Nationals' bullpen — with his usual sprint to the mound — with two outs in the top of the seventh. Marlins second baseman Emilio Bonifacio crushed a line drive straight back up the middle, and Coffey couldn't get out of the way fast enough. The ball struck him just above his right elbow and caromed towardRead more »
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Jerry Blevins on Japan, hoping for better results with Nats in 2015
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres