May 15, 2011, 3:06 PM EDT
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nationals wrap up their series with the Marlins this afternoon.
The Nationals came home two days ago feeling pretty good about themselves, having just taken road series at both Florida and Atlanta. Two days later, they find themselves needing to beat the Marlins just to avoid a sweep at Nationals Park.
Both losses came by one run — Friday's night's 6-5 loss in 11 innings, yesterday's 1-0 loss to Anibal Sanchez — so it's not like they've been getting overwhelmed by their division rivals. But as we've seen throughout this season to date, the Nats are pretty much built to play low-scoring, tight ballgames. Which means there are going to be a lot of close wins and a lot of close losses. There's little margin for error.
Ian Desmond is out of the lineup for the second straight day, still dealing with a quadriceps strain. Alex Cora again starts in his place at shortstop. Only lineup change from yesterday is a swap behind the plate, with Ivan Rodriguez starting and Wilson Ramos (in a 1-for-21 funk) on the bench.
Updates to come all afternoon…
MARLINS at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:35 p.m.
TV: MASN2, Ch. 50
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 186
Weather: Mostly cloudy, 71 degrees, Wind 7 mph out to CF
CF Roger Bernadina
2B Danny Espinosa
RF Jayson Werth
LF Laynce Nix
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats announce front office changes, including several promotions
- World Series shifts to San Francisco for Game 3
- Manager Joe Maddon opts out of contract with Rays
- Nationals roster review: Jose Lobaton
- Phillies CEO does not expect team to compete for a while
- Details announced for this offseason's NatsFest
- Nats' LaRoche and Span named Gold Glove finalists
- Braves name John Hart President of Baseball Operations
- Nationals roster review: Wilson Ramos
- Royals hope to even World Series in Game 2