May 17, 2011, 4:22 AM EST
US Presswire photo
Laynce Nix congratulates Danny Espinosa on the latter’s go-ahead homer.
Danny Espinosa had been through every other emotion over the last three weeks as his batting average tumbled, from frustration to anger to uncertainty about his ability to hit a baseball.
So by the seventh inning of Monday night’s game, after he had twice drilled pitches only to see Pirates center fielder Andrew McCutchen track them down, the Nationals’ struggling rookie second baseman with the .190 average decided there was nothing left to agonize about.
“I had to just laugh those off,” he said. “I couldn’t get angry about that. I felt like I put two good swings on the ball.”
Not as good as the swing Espinosa put on the ball the third time he stepped to the plate. This time he connected off reliever Jose Ascanio, sending the two-run homer into the right-field bullpen that sent the Nationals to a 4-2 victory over Pittsburgh.
After pausing for just a second to admire his biggest hit in weeks, Espinosa started around the bases and couldn’t help but say to himself: “About [expletive] time.”
The Nationals might have been feeling the same way about their 24-year-old second baseman, who after a hot start to the season was
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Trade official, Turner can't join Nats til June
- Moore, Taylor hope to be in mix for Nats' bench spots
- Report: Braves continue makeover, trade star OF Justin Upton
- Drew Storen goes 1-on-1 with Mark Zuckerman at NatsFest
- Winter Classic rink construction well underway at Nats Park
- Nats recall NLDS, watching Giants win World Series
- 'Baseball in the District' - Kurkjian, Zuckerman & Corcoran talk Nats
- How the Nats' trade impacts Desmond's future
- Nats trade Souza in 3-team deal, get Turner from Padres
- Report: Mets may not pitch Harvey vs. Nats on Opening Day