May 17, 2011, 1:05 PM EST
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats and Pirates will try to wrap up their two-game series today.
Though it seems highly unlikely Mother Nature is going to cooperate, the Nationals and Pirates are holding out hope they can play baseball today. The forecast is not promising: Heavy rain and thunder all afternoon, continuing into the evening. If they have to postpone this one, the Bucs do return to D.C. the first weekend in July. I smell a day-night doubleheader on Saturday, July 2.
If they do manage to play today, Jordan Zimmermann will be on the mound for the Nationals, looking to pick up where he left off last week in Florida (he struck out a career-high 11 in only 6 1/3 innings). Zimmermann will be opposed by right-hander Charlie Morton, a hard-throwing sinkerballer who is enjoying his own breakout so far this season.
I'm off today, and unfortunately need to post this before the lineups come out. I'll try to insert those before gametime (if there is a game). Rich Dubroff is covering the game for CSNwashington.com, and I'll be sure to link to his stuff later. I'll be back to work tomorrow, coming to you live from Citi Field in Queens…
PIRATES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Thunderstorms, 68 degrees, Wind 11 mph in from RF
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Now a Dodger, Rollins says another NL East team was his 2nd choice
- Ex-Nats prospect could start for Braves in CF
- Harper wants to be a one team player
- Scherzer and Strasburg learning from each other
- Nationals' Saturday workout is a washout
- Nats sign veteran lefty Hill to minor-league deal
- Do the Nats need another left-handed bat?
- Observations from Friday's workout in Viera
- Nats sing Happy Birthday to Denard Span, with bonus Danny Espinosa videobomb
- PHOTO: Looks like Scherzer will be a Jedi for Nats' 'Star Wars Day'