May 17, 2011, 1:05 PM EDT
File photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The Nats and Pirates will try to wrap up their two-game series today.
Though it seems highly unlikely Mother Nature is going to cooperate, the Nationals and Pirates are holding out hope they can play baseball today. The forecast is not promising: Heavy rain and thunder all afternoon, continuing into the evening. If they have to postpone this one, the Bucs do return to D.C. the first weekend in July. I smell a day-night doubleheader on Saturday, July 2.
If they do manage to play today, Jordan Zimmermann will be on the mound for the Nationals, looking to pick up where he left off last week in Florida (he struck out a career-high 11 in only 6 1/3 innings). Zimmermann will be opposed by right-hander Charlie Morton, a hard-throwing sinkerballer who is enjoying his own breakout so far this season.
I'm off today, and unfortunately need to post this before the lineups come out. I'll try to insert those before gametime (if there is a game). Rich Dubroff is covering the game for CSNwashington.com, and I'll be sure to link to his stuff later. I'll be back to work tomorrow, coming to you live from Citi Field in Queens…
PIRATES at NATIONALS
Where: Nationals Park
Gametime: 1:05 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 189
Weather: Thunderstorms, 68 degrees, Wind 11 mph in from RF
NL EAST STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- On Harper's blasts and Nats' new-look pen
- Report: Phillies trade Cole Hamels to AL West team
- Mets SS cries on field after learning of trade that didn't happen
- Harper homers twice into upper deck, Nats beat Marlins 7-2
- Report: Mets' trade for All-Star falls through
- Marlins get payback, play fart noises during Nats batting practice
- Nats hope to bounce back in Miami with Fister starting
- Nats Stock Watch: Starting pitchers scuffling
- Biggest key to Papelbon trade is Storen
- One MLB columnist expects Lucas Giolito to be dominant in 2020