May 17, 2011, 9:39 PM EDT
Though Killebrew hit 465 of his 573 career home runs with the Twins and became one of Minnesota's most-famous athletes, he was a Senator first, playing in the District from 1954-1960 before the franchise relocated.
The Nationals included Killebrew last summer as one of the charter members of their Ring of Honor at Nationals Park, joining other Senators, Grays and Expos greats.
Upon learning he was ending his cancer treatment and entering hospice treatment at his home in Scottsdale, Ariz., over the weekend, the Nationals hung a No. 3 Killebrew jersey in their dugout.
"For baseball fans and Washingtonians, there was a distinct sadness felt today with the passing of Harmon Killebrew," Nationals managing principal owner Ted Lerner said in a statement. "Our family and the Nationals organization were honored to host Harmon for a game last season at Nationals Park. We shall long treasure that evening and theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
MON: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Braves, 7:10 p.m.
THU: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
FRI: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Marlins, 7:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Marlins, 1:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals lower magic number to four, top Mets
- Nationals try to finish off Mets in series finale
- Harper, Desmond star in Nats 10-3 win over Mets
- Fister looks to stay perfect against Mets tonight
- Nats can't climb out of early hole, fall to Mets 4-3
- Nationals shoot for 13th straight win at Citi Field
- The Baseball Show: Are Nats finally over the Braves (VIDEO)
- Two Nationals players plunked by Colon in 6-2 win
- Desmond, Rendon back in Nationals' lineup
- MLB Power Rankings: Brewers falling hard