May 17, 2011, 9:39 PM EDT
Though Killebrew hit 465 of his 573 career home runs with the Twins and became one of Minnesota's most-famous athletes, he was a Senator first, playing in the District from 1954-1960 before the franchise relocated.
The Nationals included Killebrew last summer as one of the charter members of their Ring of Honor at Nationals Park, joining other Senators, Grays and Expos greats.
Upon learning he was ending his cancer treatment and entering hospice treatment at his home in Scottsdale, Ariz., over the weekend, the Nationals hung a No. 3 Killebrew jersey in their dugout.
"For baseball fans and Washingtonians, there was a distinct sadness felt today with the passing of Harmon Killebrew," Nationals managing principal owner Ted Lerner said in a statement. "Our family and the Nationals organization were honored to host Harmon for a game last season at Nationals Park. We shall long treasure that evening and theRead more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
FRI: Nats at Mariners, 10:10 p.m.
SAT: Nats at Mariners, 9:10 p.m.
SUN: Nats at Mariners, 4:10 p.m.
MON: Nats at Dodgers, 8:10 p.m.
TUE: Nats at Dodgers, 10:10 p.m.
WED: Nats at Dodgers, 4:10 p.m.
Full season schedule
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Back-to-back struggles by Fister surprise Nats
- Phillies sweep red-hot Nationals
- LIVE THREAD: Nationals, Fister face Phillies on the road
- LaRoche confident back issue won't linger
- Can Doug Fister prevent Phillies from sweeping Nationals?
- The Nationals offense gets significantly quieter after blowout wins
- Gonzalez sees progress in latest start for Nats
- Nationals Stock Watch: Cabrera looking like a smart acquisition
- Nationals lament close call in loss to Phillies
- Nats struggle early, lose in controversial fashion to Phillies