May 18, 2011, 7:38 PM EST
Photo by Mark Zuckerman / NATS INSIDER
The rain has followed the Nationals from D.C. to Citi Field.
NEW YORK — Hey, what do you know? It's raining! Haven't seen much of this lately, have we? The good news is that it appears there's a window of clearing from about 7-9 p.m., enough that they should at least start tonight's game between the Nationals and Mets. Whether there's enough time to finish it remains to be seen.
If they do play, the Nationals will be facing left-hander Jon Niese, not right-hander Dillon Gee as originally announced. The Mets also were rained out last night and decided to push everyone in their rotation back a day. So Niese goes tonight, with Gee in tomorrow's scheduled series finale.
Tom Gorzelanny starts for the Nationals, hoping to revert back to the top form he displayed in back-to-back starts earlier this month (as opposed to the less-than-spectacular form he showed last time out against the Marlins).
If you didn't see the earlier post, Mike Rizzo said on ESPN-980 AM today that Bryce Harper will not reach the big leagues this season, quashing any hope you may have had for that.
Plenty of updates to come from here at Citi Field, including weather updates, so check back often…
NATIONALS at METS
Where: Citi Field
Gametime: 7:10 p.m.
Radio: WJFK (106.7 FM), WFED (1500 AM), XM 183
Weather: Chance of rain, 62 degrees, Wind 11 mph RF to LF
CF Roger Bernadina
SS Ian Desmond
RF Jayson Werth
C Wilson Ramos
COUNTDOWN TO OPENING DAY
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Scouts for several teams in attendance at Hamels' 1st spring game
- Zimmermann solid, Moore on fire in Florida
- Matt Harvey returns to mound in Mets' spring game
- Escobar having stiff back examined by doctor
- Marlins spending lots of money off the field, as well as on it
- Nationals hit the road to face Braves
- Zimmerman passes first test at first base
- Rendon reflects on first full pro season
- Giants lose Hunter Pence to significant injury
- Scherzer "happy" with first start of spring