May 18, 2011, 7:23 PM EST
Updated at 6:10 p.m.
NEW YORK — Don’t hold your breath waiting for Bryce Harper to reach the big leagues this season. According to Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo, that’s not a possibility.
During both a radio appearance this afternoon and again later during a session with beat reporters, Rizzo made it clear he’s already decided Harper won’t debut in Washington in 2011.
“It’s not gonna happen,” he said on ESPN 980 AM’s “The Sports Fix” with Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro, “because he’s not ready for that to happen.”
Harper, 18, is hitting .366 with nine homers, 32 RBI and a 1.105 OPS in his first 37 minor-league games, all at low-Class A Hagerstown. He’s still learning how to play the outfield on a regular basis, though, and team officials believe he still needs to master several other aspects of the game.
For now, that will still take place in the South Atlantic League, though a promotion to high-Class A Potomac could be forthcoming.
“We like the adjustments he’s made at the plate,” Rizzo said at Citi Field before tonight’s scheduled game against the Mets. “We like the adjustments he’s made specifically against left-handed pitching, which
FINAL NL EAST STANDINGS
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Lucas Giolito
- A reason for fans of each MLB team to be thankful
- Nationals prospect spotlight: Trea Turner
- Bud Black joins Angels after missing out on Nats' manager job
- Baseball in the District – How will Nats rebuild their bullpen?
- Nats bring Henley back as third base coach
- Nats roster review: Matt Thornton
- Report: Nats interested in trading Papelbon and Storen
- Is O'Day worth the price tag to the Nationals?
- Nationals roster review: Aaron Barrett