May 18, 2011, 7:23 PM EST
Updated at 6:10 p.m.
NEW YORK — Don’t hold your breath waiting for Bryce Harper to reach the big leagues this season. According to Nationals general manager Mike Rizzo, that’s not a possibility.
During both a radio appearance this afternoon and again later during a session with beat reporters, Rizzo made it clear he’s already decided Harper won’t debut in Washington in 2011.
“It’s not gonna happen,” he said on ESPN 980 AM’s “The Sports Fix” with Kevin Sheehan and Thom Loverro, “because he’s not ready for that to happen.”
Harper, 18, is hitting .366 with nine homers, 32 RBI and a 1.105 OPS in his first 37 minor-league games, all at low-Class A Hagerstown. He’s still learning how to play the outfield on a regular basis, though, and team officials believe he still needs to master several other aspects of the game.
For now, that will still take place in the South Atlantic League, though a promotion to high-Class A Potomac could be forthcoming.
“We like the adjustments he’s made at the plate,” Rizzo said at Citi Field before tonight’s scheduled game against the Mets. “We like the adjustments he’s made specifically against left-handed pitching, which
PITCHERS AND CATCHERS REPORT IN
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2014 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 1:30 p.m., 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- New MLB commissioner Manfred suggests banning defensive shifts
- 2015 MLB roster outlook: Cleveland Indians
- PHOTO: Max Scherzer takes out full-page ad to thank Tigers fans
- Braves claim former Nats prospect off waivers from Yankees
- Washington Nationals 2015 roster preview: Anthony Rendon
- Former Nats pitcher Ross Ohlendorf follows Detwiler to Rangers
- PHOTOS: Bryce Harper attends Clippers game, meets Blake Griffin
- Big decisions to make for Nats after Scherzer signing
- Scherzer talked to Fister, Thornton before joining Nationals
- Ichiro Suzuki, former Nats OF Jonny Gomes land in NL East