May 18, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg was in Washington yesterday for a scheduled check-up with Nationals orthopedist Wiemi Douoguih and will begin throwing off a bullpen mound "any day now," according to general manager Mike Rizzo.
Strasburg, who had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow Sept. 3, has been throwing on flat ground at the Nationals' spring training complex in Viera, Fla., for the last six weeks. Once he begins throwing off a mound, he'll progress to the point he's pitching live batting practice, then during games at extended spring training.
When the Nationals believe Strasburg is ready to face minor-league competition, he'll begin a rehab assignment, which lasts a maximum of 30 days. If, after that, there's still time left in the season and the club believes the right-hander is ready, he could pitch in the majors in September. …
Rick Ankiel has gone to Viera to work out at extended spring training in anticipation of his return from the sprained right wrist. The outfielder will stay there for a couple of days, then head to a minor-Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats aim for 3rd straight series win against Padres
- Around the NL East: Will the Mets ever lose again?
- Double play on 3-0 pitch kills Nationals' rally
- Gonzalez turns in uneven outing, drops third straight
- Furious rally falls short as Nationals lose to Padres 6-5
- Ramos catches Gonzalez for 1st time in months
- Nats seek first 4-game win streak in 2 months
- Strasburg keeps leading the charge for Nats rotation
- Nats Stock Watch: Rendon rediscovering his power stroke
- Quality at-bats propel Nationals to big win