May 18, 2011, 10:42 PM EDT
Stephen Strasburg was in Washington yesterday for a scheduled check-up with Nationals orthopedist Wiemi Douoguih and will begin throwing off a bullpen mound "any day now," according to general manager Mike Rizzo.
Strasburg, who had Tommy John surgery on his right elbow Sept. 3, has been throwing on flat ground at the Nationals' spring training complex in Viera, Fla., for the last six weeks. Once he begins throwing off a mound, he'll progress to the point he's pitching live batting practice, then during games at extended spring training.
When the Nationals believe Strasburg is ready to face minor-league competition, he'll begin a rehab assignment, which lasts a maximum of 30 days. If, after that, there's still time left in the season and the club believes the right-hander is ready, he could pitch in the majors in September. …
Rick Ankiel has gone to Viera to work out at extended spring training in anticipation of his return from the sprained right wrist. The outfielder will stay there for a couple of days, then head to a minor-Read more »
NL EAST STANDINGS
NL WILD CARD STANDINGS
THE BASEBALL SHOW
ON THE RADIO
As ESPN-980 AM's Nats Insider, Mark makes daily appearances on the station's various shows. Here's the 2015 schedule (subject to change)...
MON: 12:45 p.m.
TUE: 2:30 p.m.
WED: 4:30 p.m.
THU: 2:30 p.m.
FRI: 5:30 p.m.
SAT: 10:30 a.m.
*All times Eastern. You can also listen to the station on 94.3 FM, 92.7 FM and online at ESPN980.com. Click here for past audio clips.
Follow us on Twitter
- Nats look for fourth consecutive series win vs. Marlins
- Fan dies after fall from upper deck at Atlanta Braves game
- Nats gain a rare game on the Mets with win over Marlins
- Zimmermann, Nats bounce back to top Marlins
- Span's season is over, and maybe his Nats career as well
- Nats look to get even against Marlins
- Werth bobblehead release gets pushed back
- Turner looks comfortable in debut at second base
- Month to forget continues for Scherzer, Nats
- Scherzer's struggles continue in Nationals' 4-3 loss to Marlins